Transmission temp gauge install

woodmaster58

had high trans temp reading code after oversand driving on cape cod. Need opinions on a temp; gauge kit for my tjlj
Also what front of radiator coolers you are using
thanks

Check out the Derale Transmission Cooler for the TJ. Jerry also has a pretty detailed install guide in the forum. I have a Jeep branded Autometer gauge installed as well. No issues on either. The cooler does a great job lowering the temps for sure.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Here's a link to my Derale transmission cooler installation. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-cooler-on-your-wrangler-tj.590/

I installed a B&M trans temperature gauge into my console but I like the looks of the Jeep branded Autometer gauge better mentioned above by JHammett above.

Top-View-facing-front-lit-u.jpg

I put a temp gauge in last year, fairly strait forward. dropped the pan, drilled a hole, bought some silver brazing supplies and brazed a bung in the pan. inserted the temp sensor and wired the gauge backlight to one of those switches next door. I have a cooler for in the grill but haven't installed it yet.

IMG_3198.jpeg

IMG_3195.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have a Hayden mounted onto the grille support. I plumbed it after the radiator, not sure if people usually eliminate the radiator or not when they add these. It lowered my temps *significantly*.

For the gauge I went with a glowshift because it was pretty cheap and I like to gamble. I’m about 18 months in, zero issues. One thing I’ll say is that if you don’t install the gauge before you install the cooler, you won’t really have any idea how much it helped. Mine lowered temps by ~60 degrees.