Transmission Temperature Monitoring

sssboi

Hi Guys,

I own a 2003 Wrangler Sport in Perth, Australia and I had an overheating issue which has led me to overhaul and safe guard the cooling system. I'm going to install a transmission cooler and was wondering if there's a way to monitor transmission temps? I've read the OBD2 port may or may not be able to give a read out and another option I was investigating was to splice a transmission hose and install a temp sensor but there is very little information on this and I haven't been able to find an adapter to put a temp sensor in.

Any advice appreciated!

EbeBAfb.jpg

Reactions: Weasellee
Check this thread out:
How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

I have one of those and @Jerry Bransford does as well. We can both attest to what great units they are. You'll get lower transmission temperatures, and more life out of your transmission as well. This should be a must for anyone who does any sort of off-roading in their TJ.

If you install one of those, you can then easily install a transmission temperature gauge in the process (which I know Jerry has done) to keep track of things.

I believe the popular way to monitor transmission temps is to weld a bung in the pan and run a gauge into the cab so that you always know the temp of the fluid that is entering the transmission, as opposed to exiting.

That Derale system is really nice! But I can't justify $400+ AUD on that setup. I've opted for a regular transmission cooler and will have to fab up a mounting system. Are there any other options apart from taking out the transmission pan and getting a bung welded on?

One thing that will help keep transmission temps in check is proper gearing. Those tires look like 32,s or 33,s. If you haven't re-geared,and you don't have a Rubicon,you have 3.73 at best. Taller tires without shorter gears to compensate is like constantly towing a trailer. The taller the tire, the more work the entire driveline is doing.

Cool...it's probably not worth regearing if your staying with 31,s, although Rubicon's had 31,s and 4.10,s from the factory.

I believe the popular way to monitor transmission temps is to weld a bung in the pan and run a gauge into the cab so that you always know the temp of the fluid that is entering the transmission, as opposed to exiting.
Another option, which I'm looking at, is using a temp gauge manifold used in the return line to the transmission. Below is an example of what I am speaking:

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/atm-2286/

What's everyone's thoughts on such?

Often times running Interstates I would like to know what my trans temp is. Manual trans, not about to drill the housing but i do get curious at times.

Check this thread out:
How to install a Derale 20561 transmission cooler on your Wrangler TJ

I have one of those and @Jerry Bransford does as well. We can both attest to what great units they are. You'll get lower transmission temperatures, and more life out of your transmission as well. This should be a must for anyone who does any sort of off-roading in their TJ.

If you install one of those, you can then easily install a transmission temperature gauge in the process (which I know Jerry has done) to keep track of things.
Hello, have you ever been in deep mud and have that cooler clogged up?

Hello, have you ever been in deep mud and have that cooler clogged up?

I know more now than I did back then. I wouldn't run that cooler anymore given the choice. Given what I know now, the Setrab cooler is the one I would recommend. That's what I have on my current TJ. Mud isn't an issue since it sits in front of the radiator.

Of course I also don't wheel in mud, I won't go near the stuff. I wheel in the rocks (y)

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I know more now than I did back then. I wouldn't run that cooler anymore given the choice. Given what I know now, the Setrab cooler is the one I would recommend. That's what I have on my current TJ. Mud isn't an issue since it sits in front of the radiator.

Of course I also don't wheel in mud, I won't go near the stuff. I wheel in the rocks (y)
Do you have a link @Chris? I'm need to figure out the cooler for my setup, but it needs to be AN -10 minimum so using my factory radiator is out of the question!

Do you have a link @Chris? I'm need to figure out the cooler for my setup, but it needs to be AN -10 minimum so using my factory radiator is out of the question!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10294
This is what Blaine uses on his builds and what he's installed in mine.

While I haven't gotten my Jeep back from Blaine yet, my thought process is that if it's good enough for Blaine, it's more than good enough for me.

It regularly sees 115 degrees plus out here in the summer and this cooler holds up to that heat just fine from what I'm told.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy