Transmisson slipping out of 5th gear after installing clutch

old jeep man

Just replaced flywheel and clutch in 2004 jeep tj with 4.0 with a NV 3550 transmission. Jeep has 154000 miles. Transmission did not slip before. Had to take the shift tower off to remove the transmission. Put everything back together and now my transmission is slipping out of 5th gear. Could I have installed the shift tower incorrectly, and if I did, how to make sure l can make it right. Thanks for any help.

Did you follow the procedures outlined in the FSM when disassembling and reassembling?

Did not have FSM. Just removed the transmission from the engine and in the process had to remove the shift tower to get transmission out from under the jeep.

I would think it was installed fairly correctly or you'd have bigger problems. I'd just take it back off and reinstall it, or maybe just loosen it up and move it forward, or backward, or spin it one way or another. I doubt it would move very far but may be just enough to help.

If it was on backwards you'd be going into gears incorrectly not just slipping out. Mine was reinstalled correctly and I recall losing gears.

I don't know what your problem is but I just had my transmission replaced with a "rebuilt" unit and it took them forever to get it working right. They ended up blaming a lot of the problems on the clutch hydraulics system so you might take a look at how that works if some other easier stuff doesn't point you in the right direction. It was popping out of 5th,

Thanks. I will retry installing the shift tower this weekend. Is there a certain way the shift forks line up before installing the shift tower?

Thanks. I will retry installing the shift tower this weekend. Is there a certain way the shift forks line up before installing the shift tower

Pop the tower off and make sure the plastic bushing at the base of the stalk comes with it. There's nothing you can really do except for pop it in and out and try shifting through the pattern.