Trektop NX storage solved!

MtnRanger160

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Trektop NX soft top is pretty sweet. Good quality, not too hard to take on and off, but the damn windows are large and they just don’t fit in the back even with the seats out. So I spent some time making this contraption; let me know what you think. You sacrifice the top sun roof for this but I like the convenience of being able to store the windows when I feel like it and not have them flying around loose. I can put some measurements up later but it’s basically just plywood with towels stapled down in layers to prevent scratching. Cut some notches to work around the knobs on top, throw some gorilla tape on the edges to clean it up and attach your college teams logo and you’re good to go. The two latches that lock it down above the windshield don’t get in that way either

E65A6298-4ACD-4CE6-8C82-B8C1C8623906.jpeg

E1446D7E-EAEE-4D38-9EBF-A405B4E651F1.jpeg

F30DAAEA-114D-401B-BD9E-9D5EA2724A54.jpeg

DBFC6A65-044F-49C9-8DD0-B4A5110E2CBD.jpeg

6532F5C9-3518-447B-99DD-F2544C24B8C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Creative solution that keeps everything with you! I have the same top and use the Bestop roll up bag. You can’t fully zip the top or roll it up, but I attached two hooks on the garage wall and hang the bag flat against the wall. The hooks are also the same distance as the latches on the top, so when it’s off the top can hang on the same hooks.

Reactions: MtnRanger160
Somehow I missed this thread, but I like that idea. Great (and simple) solution!

have you used it with trektop NX windows? If it's long enough to roll them with the plastic corners removed and the tub groove lip on the long side, I'll give it a try.
Yep, I’ve got the NX on my LJ. I pull the plastic corners out and stick them on the outside of the window roll and then put the whole thing in the outer bag.

Reactions: IPerkWVU and JLLJ
Innovative idea! A suggestion though, if you have any significant amount of humidity, the wood you used (appears to be MDF or similar) may sag after a while.

Innovative idea! A suggestion though, if you have any significant amount of humidity, the wood you used (appears to be MDF or similar) may sag after a while.
Don't let that particle board get wet, it likes to swell up.
Excellent points but the material is pretty cheap so if it needs to be rebuilt in a couple of years I dont see it as a big deal. I may mess around with this idea, currently my windows are on my dinning room table.

Don't let that particle board get wet, it likes to swell up.
Excellent points but the material is pretty cheap so if it needs to be rebuilt in a couple of years I dont see it as a big deal. I may mess around with this idea, currently my windows are on my dinning room table.

I like it. I have been looking at this top for my every day top, as the one in the Jeep when I got it pretty toasty. The particle board you are using now, can be replaced later on with some fiber and poxy to make it lighter, as well as waterproof. Thumbs up for sure.

W

I like it. I have been looking at this top for my every day top, as the one in the Jeep when I got it pretty toasty. The particle board you are using now, can be replaced later on with some fiber and poxy to make it lighter, as well as waterproof. Thumbs up for sure.

W
But you can’t take advantage of the sun rider.

@freedom_in_4low you might not want to hear this because it will cost you more money but bestop has $100 off the trektop NX for tj's though April 30th.

Oh, no problem there, I bought my NX in 2017 when they were barely over $600. I've just been struggling with the window storage issue for almost 3 years now.