Trimming metal off the skid plate

Clarythedrill

To all, I ordered some Steinjager frame repair pieces to fix the frame where the skid plate bolts on, on both sides due to rust. While I have the skid plate off, I am thinking about using the plasma cutter to cut out some of the metal to make it lighter and easier to clean the frame and transmission and transfer case. This Jeep will see only some trail driving at the most, so I am not worried about rocks and such. Basically, I want to cut two large rectangles out of the skid plate (the extruded parts that hold oil when you change the transfer case fluid), leaving only the metal going cross ways where the bolts are from frame rail to frame rail. Will this structurally weaken anything? Thank you for any advice on this.

I’m not an engineer but I can tell you that the skid plate is structured in such a way to keep it rigid. And if you’re going to go off-roadimg I would imagine you want as much rigidity as you can. That’s my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve hacked up my Undercover Fab skid plate without any issues. But also twice as thick as the OEM tin skid plate.

The structural integrity would likely be compromised. I wouldnt do it.

How much weight do you plan on cutting off? Whats the point in weight savings, more MPG’s?

The structural integrity would likely be compromised. I wouldnt do it.

How much weight do you plan on cutting off? Whats the point in weight savings, more MPG’s?

Not trying to save weight or get better MPGs, just make it easier to clean the tranny, t-case, and inside frame rails. Also to make it much easier to change t-case fluid.

I would not have three separate pieces bolted on, still one large plate, but with two rectangle sections cut out. Maybe just cut four smaller pieces out instead of two larger ones. I havent made my mind up yet, just thinking about how easier it would be to clean and maintain the underneath with some of it cut out.

IMO, it’s a bit overkill.

How often do you need to clean the outside of your trans and transfercase?
How often do you need to change your transfer case fluid?

If anything, leaving the skid as is will offer more protection from dirt and debris that you will gather from the road driving and light off roading.

Again, the structral integrity would be compromised, so I would leave it be. There is a reason its not done by other TJ/LJ owners.