Trouble removing key when shifter is in park

My 98 TJ shifter shifts perfectly. However, when I go to park, the key won’t turn all the way back so I can pull it out unless I pop the shifter button aggressively a time or two or go to drive and back to park, either way works but it seems to be more the button on the handle. I thought it might be the white plastic shift/park release link that’s under the shifter knob. However, it never fails to actually shift. I popped the shift handle off and pulled out the link. It looks aged, but doesn’t broken or really worn. Anyone?
Thanks

It is with mine… added a 1.5” body lift to mine and have the same problem… seems that that little bit of lift keeps the shifter from fully engaging into park because the shift handle hits the front of the shifter bezel

Last edited:
Yep, mine doesn’t do it every time, and as I’ve said, I have no problem whatsoever shifting. That makes me think it’s not the shift/park link. I’ve even seen people use a chop stick, which I would only do in a bind.

If you can lift the TCase up 1.5” with a Barnes or UCF skid you could align things again. Of course, if you don’t have a Rubicon you’ll need an SYE, DC and CA’s. If you do you’ll need a longer rear DC and Ca’s.

Reactions: 97JadeTJ
It is with mine… added a 1.5” body lift to mine and have the same problem… seems that that little bit of lift keeps the shifter from fully engaging into park because the shift handle hits the front of the shifter bezel

Evidently, that’s exactly what it is. When I go to park, I can just lightly push the shifter forward, not even enough to know it’s moving. I’ll hear it click, then the key comes right out.
Thanks for all the suggestions!