Troubleshooting 1997 TJ No-Start

jhensley51

Hello all,

Having an issue with my 1997 Wrangler 2.5 in which it only starts when I roll-start it or when I manually jump the starter relay or do this: https://streamable.com/vr616, however when I turn the key nothing happens. I replaced the relay and the problem remains. Any ideas from my fine fellow Jeepsters?

I chased down a similar issue with my 99. One of the most likely culprits is the little plastic pin that pushes into the actual ignition switch when you insert the key.

Take the three screws out of the bottom plastic around the steering column and remove the plastic. Your key cylinder is on the right, ignition switch on the left. There is a tab under the bottom of the steering column that will let you pull out the key cylinder.

Check the cylinder that it has a plastic pin sticking out past it. These are a weak point in the ignition design.

If the pin is ok, you can remove the ignition switch on the left and use a screwdriver to turn where it mates to the cylinder. If it doesn't crank then your issue is either the ignition switch or the wiring to the relay.

My description probably rambles too much to be useful. It sounds complicated but I did it at a gas station one morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you can start the Jeep reliably by jumping the terminals on the relay then you’ve narrowed it down to the ignition side of the circuit and eliminated the starter side of the circuit. Ignition switch failures aren’t uncommon, @fullagofast explained it above pretty well

I chased down a similar issue with my 99. One of the most likely culprits is the little plastic pin that pushes into the actual ignition switch when you insert the key.

Take the three screws out of the bottom plastic around the steering column and remove the plastic. Your key cylinder is on the right, ignition switch on the left. There is a tab under the bottom of the steering column that will let you pull out the key cylinder.

Check the cylinder that it has a plastic pin sticking out past it. These are a weak point in the ignition design.

If the pin is ok, you can remove the ignition switch on the left and use a screwdriver to turn where it mates to the cylinder. If it doesn't crank then your issue is either the ignition switch or the wiring to the relay.

My description probably rambles too much to be useful. It sounds complicated but I did it at a gas station one morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Looks like that's likely the problem, thanks for sharing your experience!

Reactions: Oldguy