Troubleshooting 2006 Wrangler 4.0 Manual

Crystal Alwin

Started having a hard time shifting yesterday and when I took it out of gear to downshift around a corner, it wouldn't go back into gear. The shifter goes into the position for gears but the transmission doesn't engage. Acts like it's in neutral in every gear. Towed it home and now won't start. Any ideas?

Easy items first, have you checked to see if your T-case linkage is attached or if it got knocked into neutral somehow?

Any noises prior to?
Any noticeable slippage in your clutch?
While it was running, could you put it into gear with or without the clutch being depressed?

Haven't had the chance to work on it but will check the transfer case linkage when I do. Thank you for that suggestion. It did shift without the clutch pressed. Not any noises or slipping before that I was aware of. Seemed to of been running great.

Do you have any check engine lights at all? It's possible your clutch is completely gone, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it not starting.

Do you have any check engine lights at all? It's possible your clutch is completely gone, but that wouldn't have anything to do with it not starting.

My check engine light has been on because of a bad 02 sensor that I haven't got around to replacing yet. I completely forgot about the recall with the clutch and never got it fixed... do you know anything about that? It is weird about it not starting. When I got towed home, I had shut it off and restarted it just fine. I had it running when I got towed for the ac but when I shut it off after parking it, it didn't want to start again. It's not a problematic Jeep and has never really gave me a hard time. It's in really good shape for the most part. I honestly can't see 2 things screwing up on me at the same time lol but who knows. I never realized how tough these stinkers are to diagnose. I'm used to basic old motors.

My check engine light has been on because of a bad 02 sensor that I haven't got around to replacing yet. I completely forgot about the recall with the clutch and never got it fixed... do you know anything about that? It is weird about it not starting. When I got towed home, I had shut it off and restarted it just fine. I had it running when I got towed for the ac but when I shut it off after parking it, it didn't want to start again. It's not a problematic Jeep and has never really gave me a hard time. It's in really good shape for the most part. I honestly can't see 2 things screwing up on me at the same time lol but who knows. I never realized how tough these stinkers are to diagnose. I'm used to basic old motors.

I don't know anything about a clutch recall, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with some knowledge about it. The best thing you can do is have your vehicle scanned to see if there are any error codes. That will be a huge help and point you in the right direction as oppose to just guessing.

If you think these vehicles are tough to diagnose, try diagnosing any modern vehicle with all their electronics and sensors. Truth me told, the TJ is one of the easiest vehicles to diagnose compared to the cars that are on the market these days.

Thank you for your help. I was referring to comparing them to vehicles I am used to working on. I grew up rebuilding carbs and doing all my own maintenance on old trucks with my Dad. I would never buy or attempt to work on some of the newer vehicles. I love my Jeep and anytime it has ever given me problems, it's been something simple. It's my first Jeep so I'm still learning everything about it. I'll look into getting it scanned, thanks again. :)

Thank you for your help. I was referring to comparing them to vehicles I am used to working on. I grew up rebuilding carbs and doing all my own maintenance on old trucks with my Dad. I would never buy or attempt to work on some of the newer vehicles. I love my Jeep and anytime it has ever given me problems, it's been something simple. It's my first Jeep so I'm still learning everything about it. I'll look into getting it scanned, thanks again. :)

Haha, oh yeah, compared to carbs and old school engines, anything is more difficult. However, take our 2015 Subaru Outback for instance. Amazing vehicle by all means, but my goodness, that thing has so many sensors and computers in it, that I wouldn't even know where to start. The TJ on the other hand is actually very, very simple in terms of modern vehicles, so that's one thing to be thankful for.

I highly recommend investing in an OBDII scanner if you plan on owning the vehicle for a while. This is the one I have owned for years now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP8CV7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's easy to use, and will scan your codes, tell you what the code means, and reset them with ease.

I don't know anything about a clutch recall, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with some knowledge about it. The best thing you can do is have your vehicle scanned to see if there are any error codes. That will be a huge help and point you in the right direction as oppose to just guessing.

If you think these vehicles are tough to diagnose, try diagnosing any modern vehicle with all their electronics and sensors. Truth me told, the TJ is one of the easiest vehicles to diagnose compared to the cars that are on the market these days.
I don't think there was a clutch recall, but I believe there is a service bulletin for a clicking/noisy clutch pedal.
When you say "it won't start," can you elaborate on that? Does it click? Does it crank over but doesn't fire? Does nothing happen as if you didn't even turn the key?

Reactions: Chris
I don't think there was a clutch recall, but I believe there is a service bulletin for a clicking/noisy clutch pedal.

When you say "it won't start," can you elaborate on that? Does it click? Does it crank over but doesn't fire? Does nothing happen as if you didn't even turn the key?

They sent me a few notices to bring it in and get the recall fixed, I just never got around to it. Something about a faulty clutch that could allow your vehicle to start and jump forward without it being pressed. It gets power and everything when I turn the key but doesn't do anything after that. No click or doesn't try to turn over or anything.

Haha, oh yeah, compared to carbs and old school engines, anything is more difficult. However, take our 2015 Subaru Outback for instance. Amazing vehicle by all means, but my goodness, that thing has so many sensors and computers in it, that I wouldn't even know where to start. The TJ on the other hand is actually very, very simple in terms of modern vehicles, so that's one thing to be thankful for.

I highly recommend investing in an OBDII scanner if you plan on owning the vehicle for a while. This is the one I have owned for years now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CP8CV7U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It's easy to use, and will scan your codes, tell you what the code means, and reset them with ease.

I couldn't own a vehicle I couldn't work on lol I enjoy doing my own maintenance and repairs. I have a friend that has one of those scanners. I'll see if I can borrow it and then eventually get one of my own. Should probably save my money to get her back on, and off the road for now lol..thank you for the link.

If key is on and you manually energize the solenoid coil side (with jumper) will it crank and start? (Make sure to yank jumper as soon as it starts)

I will say that for some time I have been thinking of beefing up my primary cables coming off the battery because my keep cranks slow with a fully charged battery- I can see corrosion in the crimp sleeve.

I will say that for some time I have been thinking of beefing up my primary cables coming off the battery because my keep cranks slow with a fully charged battery- I can see corrosion in the crimp sleeve.

Doing that certainly won't hurt. I did this on one of my motorcycles and it made a huge difference in how quickly (and easily) it started!

They sent me a few notices to bring it in and get the recall fixed, I just never got around to it. Something about a faulty clutch that could allow your vehicle to start and jump forward without it being pressed. It gets power and everything when I turn the key but doesn't do anything after that. No click or doesn't try to turn over or anything.
This would be to replace the clutch pedal switch, as it is saying it could possibly be able to start the jeep w/o pressing the clutch pedal down, and if it is in gear, it will cause the jeep to move forward or backwards. Does this jeep have an aftermarket alarm installed?

There isn't an after market alarm. I actually just got it to crank. While looking at it for me, someone pulled my starter fuse and put it back in the wrong spot ughhh lol so now she cranks. However, I did find out that in 4 wheel low when taking out the clutch and giving gas it stops it from rolling but doesn't move forward...only in 4 wheel low though.

There isn't an after market alarm. I actually just got it to crank. While looking at it for me, someone pulled my starter fuse and put it back in the wrong spot ughhh lol so now she cranks. However, I did find out that in 4 wheel low when taking out the clutch and giving gas it stops it from rolling but doesn't move forward...only in 4 wheel low though.
Ok, it probably needs a clutch, or the transfer case has a huge problem. I'd pull the transmission and inspect the clutch components, as that is the most likey culprit.