Trying to decide between a Spartan locker and an e-locker for front axle

smcnich

TJ Enthusiast
My low pinion Dana 30 on my 97 is in need of a rebuild (new bearings, ball joints, bushings) so I figured I might as well swap in a high pinion 30 from an XJ for just the cost of the axle and new gears. I picked one up out of a 99 XJ from the local Pull-a-Part last weekend For $237 and spent the week tearing it apart. It’s completely stripped down now. I’m going to get it sandblasted next week, then paint it and start rebuilding it.

Currently, my low pinion Dana 30 is just an open diff, but I want to put a locker in the high pinion 30 when I build it. My question is... Is a selectable locker (ARB, E-locker) worth the extra cost over a lunchbox locker? I have an Eaton E-locker in my rear 8.8, and it’s great, but I’ve read you don’t even notice the lunchbox locker on the street in 2wd. I’m basically trying to decide between the Spartan and another E-locker. I don’t mind spending the extra money if it’s worth it, but if a lunchbox locker will be just as good for a fraction of the price, I’ll go that way. Thanks.

Here’s a pic of the new high pinion 30 ready to go to the sandblaster.

F45A03D8-A945-4974-9F23-5BC4D8FB4027.jpeg

That is true, a lunchbox locker in the front axle is not noticeable, steering-wise, in 2wd. Most click/ratchet softly through turns when in 2wd, like the Aussie, while the Powertrax No-Slip is virtually silent thru turns for about $100 more. I ran a No-Slip for years and loved it.

If I hadn't bought a Rubicon with a selectable front locker, I would be running a Spartan, Powertrax, or similar. My wheeling buddies all run them. I've driven thier rigs, and you don't notice the locker in 2wd. I say do it!

I've been running a lunchbox (Aussie) for over 5 years. I don't even notice it in 2wd and in 4wd it pulls like a tank.

To this day , one of the best bang for the buck mods I have ever done.

Reactions: SoCalTJ
I've been running a lunchbox (Aussie) for over 5 years. I don't even notice it in 2wd and in 4wd it pulls like a tank.

To this day , one of the best bang for the buck mods I have ever done.

Yep, great bang for the buck...UNLESS, you live in snow country, and drive your TJ throughout the winter.

Where I live in North Idaho, you don't have the luxury of simply easing off the gas in corners while going up-hill while in 4wd on snow! It makes our rigs really squirrelly in those conditions.

I had a Spartan in the front Dana 30 on my last Jeep, was amazing, except for the above conditions. Effectively turned my jeep into a 3 season driver.

In snow free zones, a lot of capability for the buck.

Reactions: astjp2 and DuncLJ
Thanks. I’m in Mississippi, so snow isn’t an issue. I think I’m leaning toward the Spartan.

I should also add, I’m running 4.56 gears now and the new axle had 3.54, so looking at the carrier break, I’d need a new carrier to build the high pinion and swap it in. I haven’t looked up what that would cost though.

Last edited:
Yep, great bang for the buck...UNLESS, you live in snow country, and drive your TJ throughout the winter.

Where I live in North Idaho, you don't have the luxury of simply easing off the gas in corners while going up-hill while in 4wd on snow! It makes our rigs really squirrelly in those conditions.

I had a Spartan in the front Dana 30 on my last Jeep, was amazing, except for the above conditions. Effectively turned my jeep into a 3 season driver.

You are very correct. I sometimes forget that I live in a region with very mild winters compared to others.

Having said that, I still love my Aussie for 3
season driving.

Reactions: Halfstock
While nice to have a selectable, it’s not a end game. Just be aware, the locker will ALWAYS, be locked while in 4wd, so super tight turns will be harder on the ujoints and ears of the axles. Besides snow and ice driving, that is the real downside.

I have a spartan in the front of mine. Only time I know it's there is in parking lots or at the bank in line waiting for the atm. It doesnt bug me at all. The ratcheting sounds are barely noticeable in the cab. Get cool looks from everyone out side though. 🤣 just bought an xj to daily and I'm contemplating putting one in the front of it also. I keep finding them here in reno on the Facebook market place for 1 to 200 dollar because people get talked out of them for selectables.

That is true, a lunchbox locker in the front axle is not noticeable, steering-wise, in 2wd. Most click/ratchet softly through turns when in 2wd, like the Aussie, while the Powertrax No-Slip is virtually silent thru turns for about $100 more. I ran a No-Slip for years and loved it.
Why is the Powertrax quieter?

Only the Powertrax No-Slip is quieter, not the Powertrax Lockrite, and I have no idea why it's quiet... it just is.
Right to the first, and thanx for your honesty on the second! I went to their website and looked at it - to my untrained eye, it looks pretty much the same as any other!

This is why I ultimately went with Truetracs front and rear.

My wife's TJ is not her daily driver so a Spartan is going in the front for all the reasons stated here (and often it is what I wish I had in the front of mine!). My friend has one and loves it, and the install was easy too. For the price you simply can't beat a lunchbox in the front.

How do the lunchbox lockers in the front axles do while off-roading in the snow? Is the problem only on asphalt/concrete snow driving?

How do the lunchbox lockers in the front axles do while off-roading in the snow? Is the problem only on asphalt/concrete snow driving?
They chatter when trying to brake on different traction like one wheel on snow and the other on dry pavement, otherwise they pull just like the summer time, it’s typically the on road manners that people do not enjoy with auto lockers, off road they are just like selectable locker where all the locked wheels can pull in all traction conditions.

Reactions: Halfstock