Tubing Benders

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I've thought about getting a tubing bender before and always talked myself out of if due to the cost of the bender PLUS the dies. And then I am worried about the learning curve that would come with it and how much tubing I would end up wasting before I got my bends correct.

My problem is the closest shop to me is over an hour away so I can't just pop over to get something bent up for me. But then I look at the cost of pre-bent items and almost talk myself back into buying a bender.

To do my front axle correct I am going to need a bent trackbar to clear my front diff cover.
Right now I have a Poison Spyder sport cage which is a mix between the stock B pillar and then add-ons.
I'd like to build a seat frame that tied into the roll cage.
But once all this work is done I'd have a tool I'd hardly ever use again.

Buying a pre-cut cage from say GenRight is $1,800-2,000.
Bent trackbar from GenRight or TNT is $600+
No one that I know of make a base for TJ seats that ties into the cage.

What do the rest of you do when it comes to stuff like this?

At this point in my life, I usually talk myself out of it. I'm trying to downsize and not add more, especially if it's something that will get little use after the first project.

With that said, I didn't take my own advice earlier this week. I had to do a plumbing project and bought a special wrench to make it easier, even though I already had enough tools to get the job done. I turned a 5 minute job into a 3 minute job ;)

Have you checked out Craigslist or whatever to find something used for a fraction of new?

Reactions: matkal and Wildman

Like Luke above I'm trying to down size and like you and him I really have to think about how much I would use a specific tool when and if I get it. There's also the time, effort, practice, etc. that it takes to become proficient at using it. A tube bender is a good example. I have small ones that are good up to an inch or so. I have used larger benders but I usually farm out tube bends and that doesn't always go well. I asked a fab shop to provide me with four 1.5" OD / 0.125" wall thickness pieces with a 90* bend in them. Not one of them came back at 90* and they were all different. I probably would have made a bigger mess of things because I don't do it often enough to become good at it.

I'm constantly on the look out for new or scrap metal for fabrication projects. I've built roof and kayak racks for my XJ and tear drop trailer out of chain link fence gates and top rail for example. The materials were inexpensive at Home Depot and the 90* bends were perfect. I built trailer fender boards using parts salvaged from a used BBQ stand (1" sq. tube with 90* bends). Another source is pre bent electrical conduit.

Obviously you can't build roll cages or track bars from things like this but I'm always on the look out for alternatives for other fabrication projects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
You guys are hitting on all the WAYS of me not spending this money. I'm at the point in my life where I may not be home as much while I travel. And having all these tools sitting in my garage gathering dust just sucks. But I also hate farming out work I THINK I could do.

Thanks for your insight.

But I also hate farming out work I THINK I could do.

In my family, we call it stubborn dutch. Yes, there are many things I could do, but I now pay for car oil changes and small paint jobs around the house. It comes down to time or money? Time is short, and I'm willing to pay for things that allow me more free time.

There are some things that I enjoy or want to learn. I still mount and balance my motorcycle tires, both dirt and street. Mounting tires is not as enjoyable as it used to be, but it's a 90 minute round trip to the dealer. It takes me less time to continue doing it myself.

Jeep ownership is relatively new to me, so there are things I'm willing to do and learn, but other things I plan to farm out. I was happy to pay for regearing, even though I'm sure I could eventually done it myself. What took a "pro" hours would have taken me days. It would have been a valuable lesson to learn, but one I doubted I would have used again.

Reactions: PCO6
i looked at benders.
360 for the unit. another 300 per die.

i'm willing to give it a shot. some test bends for jigs and a tape measure.
through the tub and onto the frame seems strongest option for attachment.
and there are several frame to cage kits that supply bushings and pads.
also getting to the seats will require some crafty fab unless you tear the cockpit apart. i do have a couple thoughts on how to suspend the seats from the cage though.

but i don't think it'd ever give you the ability to bend what would be required material for a TB though.

Reactions: Wildman
I think my ex brother-inlaw had a rogue bender. Bought it as a kit and I want to say he was right around $500 into it with an air over hydraulic cylinder. It worked pretty good, it’s what I used to build my cage with.

i looked at benders.
360 for the unit. another 300 per die.

i'm willing to give it a shot. some test bends for jigs and a tape measure.
through the tub and onto the frame seems strongest option for attachment.
and there are several frame to cage kits that supply bushings and pads.
also getting to the seats will require some crafty fab unless you tear the cockpit apart. i do have a couple thoughts on how to suspend the seats from the cage though.

but i don't think it'd ever give you the ability to bend what would be required material for a TB though.

Here is one idea I found.

IMG_0649.jpg

I just bought the GenRight center console so the parking brake is going away and I'm installing a manual line lock. I'd have to notch the console around this but I like the idea.

Where are you finding a bender for $360? I guess I'm looking at more expensive ones.

https://www.roguefab.com/product/tubing-bender-model-600-1-die/
http://www.stazworks.com/tube_benders.htm
https://www.jd2.com/model-32-bender