Tummy tuck on LJ

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Before the next part of the build, I wanted to confirm my understanding of the likelihood of trouble.

My LJ has a 4” lift, with no vibrations. I’m about to install a 1.25” body lift and 35s (with upgraded axles, etc.) and a 1” (bomb proof) MML.

Is there any chance that I can avoid adding a SYE with a tummy tuck? Right now, the advantage of a tummy tuck isn’t worth the cost of new drive shafts. Maybe later. On the other hand, if the MML will help ease the angles enough, I’d probably do the tuck.

Part of the problem is that I don’t quite understand the angles between the front and rear. I watched the Tom Woods videos, but I think I didn’t quite understand everything.

surprised you don’t already have vibrations with a 4” lift, even if it is an LJ, so highly unlikely you will avoid them with a TT and no SLE.

Is the rear driveshaft benefited by the better angle caused by the 1” MML? Maybe just not enough?

Yes, a 1” MML does decrease the angle, but only slightly. If a few washers will drop the TCase enough to remove the vibes, then a MML would accomplish the same. In your case, we have no idea how much TT you are planning, but assuming it’s the typical Savvy MUA or UCF Extra or high clearance, you’re adding another 2-3” of lift. With the 4” suspension lift and the 2-3” TCase lift, your rear driveshaft is seeing 6-7”. There’s no way you’ll even be close to getting away without vibes. You are already at the threshold without the TT.

I see. Thanks. That’s a good explanation.

If I ever need a new driveshaft anyway, or even after the 35s I find myself getting hung up, I’ll reconsider.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and RINC