Tummy tuck with Rough Country ultra high clearance skid plate

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Tummy tuck before and after..... A gain of 2 7/16 inches.. I used the Rough Country ultra high clearance skid plate.. I know, I know... RC is bad and made of Chineseium... And I do KNOW that there are other skid plates that would have gave me more clearance... But it was on sale on 170 bucks so it was an offer that I couldn't resist... Its a 1/4 inch steel plate at the end.... Totally happy about it...

Distance from the Floor to the lower hanging part of the OEM shovel... 15 7/8s
Distance from the Floor to the lower hanging part of the RC skid plate... 18 5/16

Extras.... I do have MML, BL, DC driveshaft, Adjustable UCAs and the locker pumps were already relocated....

Ps. Again... I know that saavy and UFC and all those fancy ones are "better" and will give you more clearance.... But $600 bucks against $170?
Ps 2. I will add more paint in some parts of the skid, some paint fell off during the install, no big issues TBH.

20230412_063136.jpg

20230415_165907.jpg

20230416_140040.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the stock shovel gone is always a good option! Helluva deal.

This next Monday I'll get the jeep to a shop to modify my auto tranny skid plate... For us with the 42rle tranny with 03-06 tjs the auto tranny skid is a mess... Because once you lift the jeep too much the front driveshaft starts to grind with the skid while flexing, so instead of getting an oilpan/tranny skid ($600) I'll modify my stock one to fit the tummy tuck.... I'll post a picture once is done.... Im trying to keep the tummy tuck as cheap as possible but without compromise the quality and protection involved on it...

Reactions: JeepZilla380
As promised..... I was looking to protect my auto tranny oil pan and the OEM for my 06 rubi is no longer a good fit once the tummy tuck was performed, since I dont wheel a lot in the rocks and 2 babies are comming in a few months.... I tried to save as much dollars as I could.... so I modified my OEM auto tranny skid to fit into the tummy tuck.... the shop charged me 30 bucks (here in Mexico those kind of jobs are pretty cheap) and is now protected and lifted... does it looks pretty as a UFC or teraflex skid plate? hell no! but its only for protecting the automatic transmission of my rig for any rocks.... so I can live with the ugliness as long as it protects my jeep.....

IMG-20230424-WA0055.jpg

if anyone wonders why is a bent arm bolted in the driver's side instead of the flat section in the passenger's, is because once you lift the rig and flex it... the front driveshaft will grind with the OEM skid plate.... so it was part of the DIY design to avoid this grinding situation and keeping the tummy tuck as flat as possible...

IMG-20230424-WA0056.jpg

if anyone wonders why is a bent arm bolted in the driver's side instead of the flat section in the passenger's, is because once you lift the rig and flex it... the front driveshaft will grind with the OEM skid plate.... so it was part of the DIY design to avoid this grinding situation and keeping the tummy tuck as flat as possible...

I ran mine modified for a long time before my tummy tuck.
Instead of under, I went over the top.

skid.jpg

Reactions: Don Bulee
and last.... a picture of how the rig looks like once the TT was finished including the automatic transmission skid plate.....

20230424_182239.jpg