Turn signal mystery

azroc909

TJ Enthusiast
I cannot figure it out.
2006 TJ

I replaced all turn signal, side markers, brake and reverse bulbs with LED bulbs.

Turn signal started flashing rapidly then stopped and nothing at all no flashes no clicking noise.

I read I needed to change the turn signal relay which I did. no change.

I replaced the actual turn signal with an aftermarket from Amazon. No change

I changed all bulbs back to regular. no change.

I checked all fuses inside and in the engine compartment, nothing shorted. They all look good.

Headlights and side markers turn on

Windshield wipers turn on

Brake lights do not turn on except third brake light does.

Haven’t checked reverse lights.

Connector to turn signal looks good

Any suggestions?

B727CEEC-2091-4A3A-B2A1-0825A39ED8CB.jpeg

027A0E2F-67E4-4A38-8823-B6FAFC3A7D66.jpeg

7DD08353-E329-42DA-B483-A5EC5815593D.jpeg

It's weird that when you changed the bulbs back you're still having problems....when you switch to led you're signals flash more rapid because of the much less voltage and you have to replace your relay or just watch a video and cut a line out with an exacto like I did.

You are going about this the wrong way by just throwing parts at it. Just because a part is new doesn’t mean it’s good ( especially Chinese crap from Amazon) the no flash or fast flash will usually be related to the flasher. The no brake lights sounds like the turn signal switch. Check the position of the hazard switch, cycle it a few times and retest.
You have a bad connector at the turn signal switch. See the melted connector? What you want to look for when inspecting the connectors is the metal terminals. See the one that is burnt that is an indication of poor connection and high current. When inspecting these terminals in the connector there is a tab inside the metal terminal that contacts with the mating terminals check to make sure it is not pushed down causing a poor connection. If you give me the wire color of the bad terminal I can check the wiring diagram and give you some direction.

8983C36F-C5FF-42B4-9692-752B49E2EC46.jpeg

Reactions: gatertamer
You are going about this the wrong way by just throwing parts at it. Just because a part is new doesn’t mean it’s good ( especially Chinese crap from Amazon) the no flash or fast flash will usually be related to the flasher. The no brake lights sounds like the turn signal switch. Check the position of the hazard switch, cycle it a few times and retest.
You have a bad connector at the turn signal switch. See the melted connector? What you want to look for when inspecting the connectors is the metal terminals. See the one that is burnt that is an indication of poor connection and high current. When inspecting these terminals in the connector there is a tab inside the metal terminal that contacts with the mating terminals check to make sure it is not pushed down causing a poor connection. If you give me the wire color of the bad terminal I can check the wiring diagram and give you some direction.

View attachment 434508

I’ll get the color wire and take different angles of the connector.
Didn’t look burnt but I’ll check it out.

What are those internal terminals called/size?

Connector seems to be breaking apart
But terminal and wire seems to look in good condition. Wire is orange stripe and white number 20

481A549E-9EDD-4641-82A1-FB5095121A77.jpeg

1C770BA2-EC18-42A7-AF18-1A6873B08F79.jpeg

26E8A69B-5640-41E4-8547-CFAE4DFAC9AC.jpeg

861F5A70-5B60-4D9C-8F53-F094BE4960F9.jpeg

One thing I do know for sure is that it's a bit more work when switching the front side marker lights with LED's. It's the way the ground works with them. You can re-wire them or keep them incandescent. My front side marker lights are the only incandescent I have on the exterior of the Jeep.

Did you put original relays in also when you put stock lights in?

One thing I do know for sure is that it's a bit more work when switching the front side marker lights with LED's. It's the way the ground works with them. You can re-wire them or keep them incandescent. My front side marker lights are the only incandescent I have on the exterior of the Jeep.

Did you put original relays in also when you put stock lights in?

Yes I put all original bulbs back

Headlights, side markers and third brake turn on.

No blinker nor regular brakes