Turn Signal Switch Wiring?

Iron Squirrel

Been chasing wiring demons for awhile now. Long story short, had a short to ground in my parking light harness which blew out all my fuses, signals etc. Found that short and repaired it, replaced the fuses and still wasn't working right. Replaced the flasher with a digital one, still not functioning correctly. Took out the turn signal switch and the harness connector just crumbled in my hand - might be a cause of some issues there...

Took apart the switch, everything looked right. Put it back together and individually wired the harness to the switch - here's where it gets weird. I took pictures before I cut off the connector, and "thought" I reconnected everything in the right locations. Now, when I hit my hazards all lights flash but my front passenger turn signal. Left turn signal also flashes the third brake light, and right flasher doesn't flash the front signal (but does flash the third brake light).

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for what wire goes where on the turn signal switch? I must have gotten something crossed but I don't see how. I tried to find what I was looking for but no luck.

Locate the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your wrangler here. Within you will find not only all the wiring diagrams, but everything else you could ever need for service.

Reactions: sab
Thank you for that - I don't see a specific pin-out for that switch, but I think I can piece together what goes where. At least it has the front and rear signals labeled so I have that going for me.

The turn signal switch is referred to as the Multi-Function Switch (MFS). See page 8W-52-2 for the schematic and page 8W-80-35 for the pin-outs for both connectors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obi-Wan
Now I've got everything wired correctly at the switch, and it looked like things were working. Then I tried to turn the headlights on to verify ALL the lighting was working as it should... flipped on the headlights and driver's tail light did not light up with the running light like the passengers side did. Odd, but decided to see if the break lights worked. They did, until I turned the headlights on and then the drivers side one went out. Hazards work fine with or without headlights on. Guess it's back to the drawing board for me :mad:. I don't have the patience to deal with this today, maybe tomorrow I'll dig deeper into what is causing the tail lights to now be funky.

Now I've got everything wired correctly at the switch, and it looked like things were working. Then I tried to turn the headlights on to verify ALL the lighting was working as it should... flipped on the headlights and driver's tail light did not light up with the running light like the passengers side did. Odd, but decided to see if the break lights worked. They did, until I turned the headlights on and then the drivers side one went out. Hazards work fine with or without headlights on. Guess it's back to the drawing board for me :mad:. I don't have the patience to deal with this today, maybe tomorrow I'll dig deeper into what is causing the tail lights to now be funky.

Maybe a bad ground on the drivers tail light?

Ground problems cause weird issues, and the MFS is notorious for causing weird issues when they fail, and they do fail. I'd suggest starting with investigating those two areas, first.