Turn signal & wipers out?

Steven Browning Sr.

I tow my jeep with my motorhome and haven't used it for about 2 months. Started it yesterday and the turn signals and wipers don't work. Any hints on what to look at first….both fuses are ok.

I tow my jeep with my motorhome and haven't used it for about 2 months. Started it yesterday and the turn signals and wipers don't work. Any hints on what to look at first….both fuses are ok.

When something has been sitting for that long the first thing I think to check is the battery. However, given that it's started up I suppose that rules out the battery (however, I would still check it to make sure it's good).

I've heard of this issue before though, and the culprit usually ends up being the ignition switch.

Can you get them to work at all if you jiggle the key in the ignition, start the car multiple times, turn on the headlights, etc.?

Or do they just not work period?

The ignition switch would be the first thing I'd check. I've seen this in the past before and everyone was always saying it ended up being their ignition switch

Jiggle the ignition when you're in the vehicle and see if you can get the turn signals to work at all while jiggling it.

He has a '99.

image.jpeg

On my second one after disassembling and cleaning the first one several times

No shit... So the earlier models had the wiper and turn signals on one stalk? What's the other stock for on the earlier models then?

I have no idea, it's definitely changed at least a few times. My signals, lights, and fogs are on the left and the wipers are on the right.

That's how mine are, signals, lights and fogs are on the left and the wipers are on the right.

I didn't even know that they made it any other way.

Well it was only the first few years, so maybe they saw the light and revised them to make sense in the later years. :D

My fog lights didn't work for years, and eventually I figured out that I had to replace the multi-function switch. I tried to clean it up but it didn't work.

I learn something new every day with these TJs. Same with under the hood, I know that the 05-06 has a ton of weird little things compared to the earlier models.

For instance, sometime in 03 they did away with the schraeder valve on the fuel rails. Also, the 05+ models have the IAT on the intake tube instead of the intake manifold. So many other little weird things also!

Either way, my vote now is for the stalk itself or the ignition switch.

I don't know anything about the ignition switch. What's involved in fixing that?

Copy and pasted this:

There is a small hole in the underside of the steering column. This leads to a small square (slightly less than a 1/4 inch square) button that is part of the ignition key cylinder. Use a small screwdriver (regular or phillips) or a punch. Insert it into the hole. You must be able to turn the key to the "run" position first before inserting the screwdriver/punch into the hole. Then just push up gently on whatever you are using and it will release the tang and you can pull the ignition cylinder out of the steering column. I recently had problems with mine locking up (swallowed too much sand on the sand dunes). The lock cylinder simply turns the ignition switch that is inside the steering column. I took mine to a lock smith who disassembled it, cleaned it, put in new springs/tumblers and reassembled it. Works fine today.

From the FSM:

IGNITION SWITCH AND KEY CYLINDER
The ignition key must be in the key cylinder for cylinder removal. The key cylinder must be removed first before removing ignition switch.

KEY CYLINDER REMOVAL
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
(2) If equipped with an automatic transmission, place shifter in PARK position.
(3) Rotate key to ON position .
(4) A release tang is located on bottom of key cylinder.
(5) Position a small screwdriver or pin punch into tang access hole on bottom of steering column lower cover.
(6) Push the pin punch up while pulling key cylinder from steering column.

Note: If you are going to have the lock cylinder out of the column for a while, use a wide blade screwdriver and turn the ignition switch back a click to the off position so you do not run you battery down.

If you turn the ignition switch off, be sure to turn it back on before attempting to insert the lock cylider. Again a wide blade screwdriver is all you need to turn the ignition switch inside the steering column.