Turn signals in front grill, tube fenders

derekmac

TJ Addict
Since my tube fenders will be going on soon, I'll need to figure out turn signals for the front. I'd like to get 3 wire lights since that will make it an easier install, but locally all I've been able to find are 4" lights. I bought 2, and they seem like they'll be too big, but I just got home from driving 1600km, so I'm too tired to have a good look.

I've heard that JK lights will work, and are smaller (3"?). Are they three wire as well? Would I need a rubber grommet for them, or will they just pop right in a proper sized hole?

I'm willing to explore any suggestions you all might have. :)

Since my tube fenders will be going on soon, I'll need to figure out turn signals for the front. I'd like to get 3 wire lights since that will make it an easier install, but locally all I've been able to find are 4" lights. I bought 2, and they seem like they'll be too big, but I just got home from driving 1600km, so I'm too tired to have a good look.

I've heard that JK lights will work, and are smaller (3"?). Are they three wire as well? Would I need a rubber grommet for them, or will they just pop right in a proper sized hole?

I'm willing to explore any suggestions you all might have. :)

The TJ Front Turn Signal Bulb housing will fit directly into the JK housing. This would require drilling 2 holes into the front grill.

Here is a video:

If you go this route to NOT use his dumb template. Simply measure a point where you will start your hole. The template increases your chances of screwing the hole symmetry up.

Your flat fenders most likely have 3\4 inch holes for LED markers. You can get a dual function LED that will act as both a running light and turn signal.

Something like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018EO9FKO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The hookup for these is:

JEEP \ LED

Black = White
Black\Yellow = Black
Tan or Green = Red

If you go the LED route you will need a new hyperflash relay (this is an example)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KZJDGIS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I chose to terminate my side marker lights since the front LEDs in my flat fenders can be seen from the sides. Nobody I know who runs like this has any issues with passing inspection (I am in NY).

IMG_0880.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and derekmac
For the front turn signals being moved onto the radiator grill, I would stick with the OE incandescent bulbs. LEDs in that location are notorious for causing flasher issues.

Also... after drilling the 3 1/8" hole for the JK bulb housing, add three shallow notches in the hole to match the JK housing's ribs on the side of the housing. That will allow the enclosure to seat properly. Then cut a slot at the very front of each of the three ribs to allow the housing to be twist-locked into place so it can't fall out. If you'll clock the notch positions so they're not at the 10, 2, and 6 o'clock locations you can then twist-lock the enclosure to the point it is straight up & down & locked in place. When a bulb burns out in the future, you just twist to unlock the housing so it can be pulled out.

Other instructions suggest you just force the housing into the hole so it is jammed into position which is a crude way of installing them.

This is how I cut my notches... you can see they're clocked maybe 15 degrees CCW from being at the 10, 2, and 6 o'clock positions.

CIMG3724.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you both so much! A buddy switched his amber lights to clear on his JK, so he's giving me his amber ones.

Now I just need to buy a hole saw, and I'll be good to go. :)

So, my search for a hole saw hasn't been stellar. No local hardware stores have a 3 1/16", and Amazon.ca doesn't have them either. I found other writeups that used a 3 1/8", but that's not available locally either. It is on Amazon though. Would using the 3 1/8" be OK? All stores around here have 3" or 3 1/4", but nothing in between.

I just verified that you want a 3 1/8" hole saw for the JK turn signal enclosure. I had to go back to a very old thread of mine to verify the size I used was indeed a 3 1/8". Sorry for the bad/incorrect memory above it.

At least this was before you bought the wrong 3 1/16" size.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac
I just verified that you want a 3 1/8" hole saw for the JK turn signal enclosure. I had to go back to a very old thread of mine to verify the size I used was indeed a 3 1/8". Sorry for the bad/incorrect memory above it was 3 1/16".

Thank you sir, I'll order one up tonight. :)

Reactions: JMT
I followed Jerry's advice, and it worked like a charm! I wouldn't have thought of cutting notches in the ribs to be able to turn them, and it's a great way to help secure them. :)

I can't load Photobucket at work, so I'll post pics in a bit.

I just verified that you want a 3 1/8" hole saw for the JK turn signal enclosure. I had to go back to a very old thread of mine to verify the size I used was indeed a 3 1/8". Sorry for the bad/incorrect memory above it.

I think I might would like to do this to my Jeep. Where can I find this very old thread of yours?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/turn-signals-in-front-grill-tube-fenders.4740/#post-64730
https://www.wranglerforum.com/threa...e-fenders-for-the-wrangler.43596/#post-534173
The enclosures are stock JK front turn signals. No wiring or new turn signal bulb connector is needed, the original TJ turn signal bulb holder fits the JK enclosure perfectly. Leave the stock incandescent bulbs alone too as installing LED bulbs there (the side markers too) will cause turn signal operation problems.

Also, be sure to notch the front grill in the three locations as shown, then notch the three plastic ridges on the JK bulb enclosures at the very(!) front right next to the flange. Notch the front grill so the three notches are clocked 10-15 degrees left or right. Then the enclosures are inserted clocked the same amount but the enclosures are then rotated back so they're straight which locks them into place.

CIMG4020.JPG
CIMG4021.JPG

Looks like a welder and some body filler
It looks kind of bulbous in that area so I was thinking maybe it's just a cap of some kind. I was expecting the obvious answer the be sheet metal work but I still figured I'd ask incase it was something like a fiberglass mold or the like