Tweeter Recommendations?

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've read on a few threads that folks recommend putting tweeters in pods on the dash. Any recommendations for the pods, or for the tweeters themselves?

Alternatively, I wonder about putting tweeters in the sound bar. Not as 'directionally' advantageous? Just seems like a convenient location, and wouldn't take up dash space.

Thanks!

———

Update: This thread went a bit off track, but my final decision is described here.

Last edited:
Micro Precision

I have them and @skrelnik has them. Amazing would be an understatement. Hands down the biggest improvement you can make for your audio system.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I've read on a few threads that folks recommend putting tweeters in pods on the dash. Any recommendations for the pods, or for the tweeters themselves?

Alternatively, I wonder about putting tweeters in the sound bar. Not as 'directionally' advantageous? Just seems like a convenient location, and wouldn't take up dash space.

Thanks!

I bought a sound bar off Amazon that has the tweeters. Haven’t installed it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MIT5VA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Micro Precision

I have them and @skrelnik has them. Amazing would be an understatement. Hands down the biggest improvement you can make for your audio system.
Where do you have them mounted? I remember an old post on the other forum about a guy explaining down near the front lower corner of the door opening is on of the better spots, though I don't remember why.

I've got two there and two in each lower corner of the windshield, but I need to redo my whole system and my ears are pretty screwed up anyways...

Where do you have them mounted? I remember an old post on the other forum about a guy explaining down near the front lower corner of the door opening is on of the better spots, though I don't remember why.

I've got two there and two in each lower corner of the windshield, but I need to redo my whole system and my ears are pretty screwed up anyways...
Right on top of the dash corners. I would take a picture but my rig is at Blaine’s at the moment. You’ll love these things, I guarantee it.

Reactions: skrelnik

Thanks!

I previously had the tweeters in the sound bar, but the sound bar speakers are best used for "rear fill". Once you mount tweeters on your dash it takes the system to a new level.

Dash pods can be done in a few ways. You can make them, but Ebay knock-offs, which are fine if they fit your tweeters, or a guy in Germany (through ebay, or direct) will custom make pods.

I've ordered a few sets from them over the years and all was good.

https://www.pods-tweeters-midrange.com/shop?Collection=PODS+|+GEHÄUSE
Example...play around on the site and ask any questions you may have...they are well worth the price, expensive but they are quality made.

1614124013645.png

Reactions: SSTJ
Micro Precision

Thanks Chris. I'm seeing a lot of options on the site. What 'series' did you get? Or can I grab these off Amazon too?

Thanks Chris. I'm seeing a lot of options on the site. What 'series' did you get? Or can I grab these off Amazon too?

These are pics of mine mounted which are slightly different than @Chris but are the similar. I went through the a-pillar and Chris went through the dash. This is a cosmetic placement choice based on each TJ owner. The red line is how Chris mounted his.

test.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ and Chris
How are you guys wiring tweeters? I found these which look good (still not decided), and my friend with a 3D printer might make mounts for me. However, I am not sure how to wire them. Wiring is not my strong area but I am learning

I am looking to get an amp also, probably this 4 channel amp to power my 2 5.25" Polk dash speakers and 6.5" sound bar Kicker speakers, I have a powered subwoofer also.

How are you guys wiring tweeters? I found these which look good (still not decided), and my friend with a 3D printer might make mounts for me. However, I am not sure how to wire them. Wiring is not my strong area but I am learning

I am looking to get an amp also, probably this 4 channel amp to power my 2 5.25" Polk dash speakers and 6.5" sound bar Kicker speakers, I have a powered subwoofer also.

If you want to use component speakers, with a tweeter on the dash and a 5.25" in the traditional spot, you will need a passive crossover.

The square box is the passive crossover. More pics in this link. You would buy a set like this to replace the Polk 5.25".

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS50/Kicker-47KSS504.html
g20647KSS50-o_other0.jpgg20647KSS50-o_other1.jpg

If you want to use component speakers, with a tweeter on the dash and a 5.25" in the traditional spot, you will need a passive crossover.

The square box is the passive crossover. More pics in this link. You would buy a set like this to replace the Polk 5.25".

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS50/Kicker-47KSS504.html
View attachment 320758View attachment 320760
Would it still be good to add the dash tweeters if I have coaxial speakers in the dash, or do most people who do it on here get components? I just bought my speakers so I would not like to rush to replace them, so maybe down the line I can do that if I want

Would it still be good to add the dash tweeters if I have coaxial speakers in the dash, or do most people who do it on here get components? I just bought my speakers so I would not like to rush to replace them, so maybe down the line I can do that if I want

You would want components, and not to use the coaxials. Could both work, yes, but you are getting into muddy waters going that route

When you run the wires from the amplifier to the coaxial speakers, one amp channel is wired to one speaker.

When you run the wires from the amplifier to the component speakers, the difference is that one amp channel is wired to one of the crossovers, and then the crossover splits the signal/power. You then have four wires coming out of each crossover, two for a tweeter and two for the 5.25" speaker.

Reactions: Cheetokps
You would want components, and not to use the coaxials. Could both work, yes, but you are getting into muddy waters going that route

When you run the wires from the amplifier to the coaxial speakers, one amp channel is wired to one speaker.

When you run the wires from the amplifier to the component speakers, the difference is that one amp channel is wired to one of the crossovers, and then the crossover splits the signal/power. You then have four wires coming out of each crossover, two for a tweeter and two for the 5.25" speaker.
Ah ok, good to know thank you. I'd go that route if I didn't have brand new speakers, hopefully just adding an amp will make a difference then

Reactions: skrelnik
I like silk dome tweeters. Harsh tweeters can give ear fatigue. I usually dial down the tweets.

Also, highs are the easiest to locate where the sounds are coming from. Tweeter placement is important for the sound stage. You can raise/lower the sound stage with tweeter placement. Once you settle on a pair, I'd suggest getting some double sided tape and experiment with placement before you mount them in their final resting place. Ride around for a few days with the tweets in different locations while listening to a variety of music. Some mounting locations will sound different and will come down to personal preference.

I like silk dome tweeters. Harsh tweeters can give ear fatigue. I usually dial down the tweets.

Also, highs are the easiest to locate where the sounds are coming from. Tweeter placement is important for the sound stage. You can raise/lower the sound stage with tweeter placement. Once you settle on a pair, I'd suggest getting some double sided tape and experiment with placement before you mount them in their final resting place. Ride around for a few days with the tweets in different locations while listening to a variety of music. Some mounting locations will sound different and will come down to personal preference.
Yeah I’m trying to make a good sounding audio system, my ears hurt after driving for a while so I’m not sure if I’m just turning it up a lot because it’s not clear or what. So I definitely don’t want anything else to cause ear fatigue

Yeah I’m trying to make a good sounding audio system, my ears hurt after driving for a while so I’m not sure if I’m just turning it up a lot because it’s not clear or what. So I definitely don’t want anything else to cause ear fatigue

If you get a component set, most sets have the ability to attenuate just the tweeter. There's usually 3 or so settings, I always put it on the lowest setting.

I assume with what you already have, you have an aftermarket head unit. It probably has a built in EQ with presets. Rock, jazz, ExtremeEarBusterMode, Pop, etc. Try turning it up to your ear-hurty level and then cycling through them. If you pay attention to the higher frequencies as you cycle, you can usually find one that isn't as harsh. If so, you probably need to turn your highs down some. Go back to your normal preset or whatever you usually have it on, see if it has an 8 band EQ built in, and if so, adjust the 4kHz and 8kHz range. Note where they are before you start, and if you don't like the way your adjustments sound, put them back to where they were at. No harm, no foul.

I'm a fan of a single component set with no extra speakers. It's easier to dial in, simpler, and sound better, imo. I'm not worried about wasting 2 channels off of an amp on a pair of 5.25" co-ax speakers, or running them off of the head unit knowing they won't keep up with an amped 6.5 comp set. I don't need any extra fill from under the dash. All I need is 2 channels on an amp, whether that's a 2 channel amp, or a bridged 4 channel amp.

tenor.gif

\

Reactions: Cheetokps
If you get a component set, most sets have the ability to attenuate just the tweeter. There's usually 3 or so settings, I always put it on the lowest setting.

I assume with what you already have, you have an aftermarket head unit. It probably has a built in EQ with presets. Rock, jazz, ExtremeEarBusterMode, Pop, etc. Try turning it up to your ear-hurty level and then cycling through them. If you pay attention to the higher frequencies as you cycle, you can usually find one that isn't as harsh. If so, you probably need to turn your highs down some. Go back to your normal preset or whatever you usually have it on, see if it has an 8 band EQ built in, and if so, adjust the 4kHz and 8kHz range. Note where they are before you start, and if you don't like the way your adjustments sound, put them back to where they were at. No harm, no foul.

I'm a fan of a single component set with no extra speakers. It's easier to dial in, simpler, and sound better, imo. I'm not worried about wasting 2 channels off of an amp on a pair of 5.25" co-ax speakers, or running them off of the head unit knowing they won't keep up with an amped 6.5 comp set. I don't need any extra fill from under the dash. All I need is 2 channels on an amp, whether that's a 2 channel amp, or a bridged 4 channel amp.

View attachment 320968

\
I have a pioneer head unit that came with my Jeep, 22x4rms output so a little more than stock but I still don’t think it’s enough for my 6.5” and 5.25” speakers. I have messed a TON with the EQ settings, the ones that are less irritating don’t sound good at all so I have been thinking I just need more power.

I have been meaning to do an in depth fine tuning of everything, but since I want to add an amp (and finish round deadening) I wanted to wait. I’ve seen apps that use your mic to show what each frequency is reading, and I’ve been considering trying that

I have a pioneer head unit that came with my Jeep, 22x4rms output so a little more than stock but I still don’t think it’s enough for my 6.5” and 5.25” speakers. I have messed a TON with the EQ settings, the ones that are less irritating don’t sound good at all so I have been thinking I just need more power.

I have been meaning to do an in depth fine tuning of everything, but since I want to add an amp (and finish round deadening) I wanted to wait. I’ve seen apps that use your mic to show what each frequency is reading, and I’ve been considering trying that

You could get an amp that could work for your current setup but that is also cable of running a component set. If you don't like how it sounds after you add the amp, you could always replace the speakers and already have an amp for the comp set.

You could get an amp that could work for your current setup but that is also cable of running a component set. If you don't like how it sounds after you add the amp, you could always replace the speakers and already have an amp for the comp set.
Yeah I was thinking something like that, I’d like to plan for other possibilities in the future. I have a powered subwoofer so I should only need a 4 channel amp it sounds like, I was thinking this one? I looked for a 100Wx4 one, cause my speakers are 100W RMS, but this one at 75Wx4 seems pretty good too