Two different sizes of idler pulleys (early 97 4.0) and can't find the larger replacement

OSquires

Supporting Member
I'm wondering if this is another oddity from early '97 TJs.

The fixed idler pulley (left, near A/C unit) went out so before taking it out I went by the local dealership and had them look up availability on getting both. My VIN is in their system but they always ask for it, no problem. Anyway, short version, not in stock for the "two" same P/N. $57 each and should come in next week...

Soo... Went by Advanced Auto and picked up two Dayco P/N 89007 for $25.

Come by take the old ones off and the right side adjustable (off power steering) is almost a half-inch larger in diameter.

I've looked and can't find a part number for the larger pulley either. I have an original paper factory service manual and the diagrams show two of the same size too.

Technically, as long as there is enough play in the adjustable side, I don't see why using two of the same size would be a problem.

Thoughts???

Thanks all, Merry Christmas!

Owen

20221225_093615.jpg

Pictures... New on top ;) larger on bottom.

The fixed idler pulley (left, near A/C unit) went out so before taking it out I went by the local dealership and had them look up availability on getting both. My VIN is in their system but they always ask for it, no problem. Anyway, short version, not in stock for the "two" same P/N. $57 each and should come in next week...

Come by take the old ones off and the right side adjustable (off power steering) is almost a half-inch larger in diameter.

I've looked and can't find a part number for the larger pulley either. I have an original paper factory service manual and the diagrams show two of the same size too.

Technically, as long as there is enough play in the adjustable side, I don't see why using two of the same size would be a problem.

Thoughts???

Owen

Owen,
Check page 120 of the 1997-1999 TJ Parts List. The factory calls out two different part numbers for the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley. The tensioner pulley on the 1997 is a larger diameter than the idler. See pic attached for the part number the factory Parts List calls out for the tensioner.

tensioner pulley 1997.jpg

Reactions: OSquires
I replaced both of mine and had no trouble sourcing the two sizes on Rock Auto...but that was a year ago...I think I used Gates branded pulleys.

-Mac

Owen,
Check page 120 of the 1997-1999 TJ Parts List. The factory calls out two different part numbers for the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley. The tensioner pulley on the 1997 is a larger diameter than the idler. See pic attached for the part number the factory Parts List calls out for the tensioner.

View attachment 386832

Thanks Mike, don't know if the guy at the parts counter was confused but I gave him P/N 0479 2112 AE (not the -001 added though) and he told me "yeah, my catalog lists two of them [needed] but they're not in stock and would take approximately a week."

Looks like one is 76mm and the other 90mm.

Will look for them!

Thanks 👍

Thanks Mike, don't know if the guy at the parts counter was confused but I gave him P/N 0479 2112 AE (not the -001 added though) and he told me "yeah, my catalog lists two of them [needed] but they're not in stock and would take approximately a week."

Will look for them!

Thanks 👍

You bet.

Will look for them!

Thanks 👍

Rock auto lists two also.
0D8E28E0-4A74-4F26-925F-E15E07C28547.png

Thoughts???

Owen

Thanks everyone.

Ordered the 90mm one from RockAuto and will put it on either when the OEM breaks of have to take the belt off because of something else.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Owen