Two PCM drivers went out?

I didn't mean to suggest that he had a bad coil pack, only that the PCM can shut down injectors for a couple of reasons. I think his coil pack is good, otherwise bank 1 would also be affected. Simplest explanation here is that the coil boot for #5 and/or #6 is not seated on the spark plug.
Yeah coil pack is fine but I wanted some kind of confirmation that maybe the spark plugs/coil pack could hypothetically cause the PCM to not signal the 5 and 6 injectors. So, definitely good info to have but new coil pack didn't change anything. I took the spark plugs out again and cleaned them and the ports. Made sure they were threaded and torqued.

Still working on it. Two mechanics said it was the PCM. Sent it to SIA Electronics to be repaired. They replaced drivers #4, 5 and 6 and said everything else checked out. Installed it today, no change. Not sure if injectors 4, 5, and 6 are still not working - I can't keep it running long enough to unplug one and check it.

So I'm sending it back to SIA Electronics, hesitantly. Then I'll either send it to Flagship or the manufacturer to be repaired, again. (Flagship doesn't sell my specific computer. A dozen others for my year TJ, but not mine.)

It runs for a few seconds and shuts off.
It will 'run' if I keep my foot on the pedal.
It drinks gas like a sailor.
The cluster is flickering like it's having a seizure.
It's giving b0 and b8 'codes'.
The left headlight and fog light do not work.
When I turn on the headlight(s), the cluster does not light up.

Individually I'd be looking at the multi-function switch, injectors, Idle Air Control Valve, Crankshaft Position Sensor, loose instrument panel connection, etc etc. But since the PCM did indeed need 3 new drivers and a bad PCM could cause all of these issues, I'm still leaning toward the PCM.

Hey, just saw this thread too after replying in the other one. Keep in mind that the ignition coil assembly has 3 coils, not 6. Each coil services 2 plugs/cylinders. If a coil is bad, it will affect both cylinders it services. Look up the pairs to be sure, but I think I recall them being 1/6, 2/5, and 3/4.
Is it possible for each coil to be...half-bad? Since 4, 5 and 6 aren't working.

...Though I did swap in a new coil rail to see if it helped but nothing changed. Perhaps the bad coil rail damaged the PCM and now that I got the PCM 'repaired' it still doesn't work because the coil rail is still bad?

Last edited:
Yes. If the fuel injectors are not functioning, either the wiring for the injectors is damaged or the PCM is shutting the injectors off to avoid engine damage. It's unlikely that the PCM randomly failed just after you performed this recent work.

I don't have reference for it at the moment, but I believe the PCM will turn off the injector(s) if a coil fails. It may also turn off an injector if the 02 sensor detects raw fuel being dumped into the cat.
Given these symptoms, what would cause it to run rich like that?

Yeah, I understand. I was just making sure he was aware of how the coils work when troubleshooting.

However, the codes he is getting would not suggest the ignition side is the problem. As I told him in the other thread, the codes P0205 and P0206 "Injector Circuit Malfunction'" are definitely because of a problem detected by the PCM on those two particular injector circuits (injector, connector, wiring to PCM, or PCM circuitry itself).
I had the PCM repaired, supposedly, I put in new injectors and connectors, and the wiring tested good. What am I left with if those are my only options?

I'm still leaning toward the PCM as well, if injectors are new, and connectors are good, and wiring tested good, it is very likely PCM. I recall @Wranglerfix saying how simply replacing the driver isn't a guaranteed fix. Since they say they fixed drivers #4, 5 and 6 and said "everything else checked out", then they are admitting that they saw something wrong, but it doesn't seem they have fixed it.

@Wranglerfix sorry if you covered this before, and sorry to thread hi-jack OP, but are your replacement PCM's flash-able just like the stock PCM for aftermarket tuning? If yes are their concerns on number of times that can be written safely? My interest is for the 05 year in particular. Thanks, and hopefully you may be able to help this guy here!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I think it is pcm related.

There is no flashing or aftermarket tuning available with our 05-06 pcm. Flashing the computer will corrupt the software and the tuners are designed to work with the original OEM part.

It is a square peg in a round hole scenario.

@justfixedthat... how is your sia repair holding up?

Reactions: mots

There is no flashing or aftermarket tuning available with our 05-06 pcm. Flashing the computer will corrupt the software and the tuners are designed to work with the original OEM part.

There was no change. It's still running for a few seconds and dying unless I keep my fot on the pedal; cluster lights are flickering and saying b0 and b8; and its drinking gas.

I'm navigating their warranty policy so I can send it back and have it repaired again.

Then it's either Flagship or the manufacturer (via O'reilly). Wish I could find a reman.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
There was no change. It's still running for a few seconds and dying unless I keep my fot on the pedal; cluster lights are flickering and saying b0 and b8; and its drinking gas.

I'm navigating

I have pcm that should solve your issues. Does o’Reilly’s claim to have this Pcm or repair it?