Two WWII era rifles

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
This may be a strange question for a Jeep forum but I am not active on any firearm forums currently and I respect a lot of opinions here so here goes:

I have two WWII era rifles. One is a Secretary of the Navy Trophy Rifle I won at a Navy match in 2010, (M1 Garand). The other is a rifle my father gave me (M1 Carbine). Neither rifle is from a rare manufacturer or a significant serial number. The Garand was made by Springfield Armory, the Carbine from Inland Manufacturing. I believe those two manufacturers made the largest number of the respective rifles. So, the rifles do not have significant monetary value (unless the trophy rifle does but I really don't know). I can never imagine selling either of these rifles and plan to leave them to my son who is also a firearm enthusiast.

So, I am strongly considering refinishing both stocks to match each other. I might even create a display with WWII flag background to hang on the wall in a locked room. I know most would recommend not refinishing a stock from a collectable firearm but in this case I think it would be great.

What does everyone think?

I wouldn't refinish the stocks, but that's just me. I do refinish stocks on my shooting rifles with boiled linseed oil to protect them. If there are any stamps or inspection / acceptance cartouches in the wood you'll probably lose them.

Reactions: Twopoint and Five
Leave 'em alone, refinishing the stocks will significantly reduce their value, even just shooters. But then if you want to, they're your guns so go for it.

Reactions: StG58
I would have to agree with leaving them alone, I personally find a weathered stock appealing. On the other hand I can see the desire to do what you are thinking about.

Have you given any thought to picking up another set of stocks to work with while keeping the originals?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I'll jump on the "leave 'em alone" bandwagon. I own a '43 National Postal Meter M1 Carbine that is all original and I'm having a hard time even convincing myself to buy a reproduction magazine pouch to put on the stock. No way would I refinish the stock with anything other than linseed oil, and that only as a last resort (the stock is in fine shape and doesn't need me mucking about with it).
NPM M1 Carbine 1.JPG

I did sell an Inland GM carbine a while back to fund an AR build, do miss it. Fun rifle but the round is much more fun out of a pistol lol

I can't find the picture but somewhere I have seen a picture of a wooden, rustic WWII flag used as a backdrop for a display with a 1911, M1 Garand, and M1 Carbine. Pretty cool. I already make the flags, just need to do one with 48 vs 50 stars.

View attachment 106674

That looks nice, I just want to post a comment and subscribe so I can see how it turns out.

Winchester is also making some ww2 spec ammo now that comes in nice little wooden collectible boxes, for the Garand, 1911, later this year they are supposed to release the carbine ammo and brass shotgun shells to match it all.Its like a dollar more to get the wooden boxes instead of just buying training ammo.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Firearms with zero historical value (guns assembled from old & new stock) you can do what you want to. I have a Garand and a M1 carbine that I prettied up due to those reasons. Anything that is original you are best to leave unmolested. Keep them clean and oiled. If they are real old firearms like a valuable Colt single action, make sure you use period correct oils. Plenty of people make the mistake of using modern oils on an antique and ruin the patina or plum finish.

I hold an FFL. Leave them alone. To many guys get bored and refinish stuff. Leaving alot of value on your work bench.

You can buy additional stocks and refinish them. And then leave the originals alone for safekeeping. I think you can find old replacements for pretty cheap. Check gunbroker.

More options

IHC%20452%20full.jpg
EXTRA FANCY CLARO WALNUT
WITH TYPE 1 FINISH
Semi%20Fancy%20Walnut.jpg
SEMI-FANCY WALNUT WITH TYPE 1 FINISH
DGR%20semi%20T2%20finish.jpg
SEMI-FANCY GRADE MAPLE WALNUT
BROWN STAIN & T-2 FINISH
Sale%20SA%203847992%20full.jpg
STANDARD GRADE WALNUT WITH BROWN STAIN & T-2 FINISH
2103%20full.jpg