U-joints: Straps or U-Bolts

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
While I was admiring my work on my front driveshaft, I started looking at the hardware. I noticed that one of my straps was pretty bashed...must have gotten into a rock harder than I thought. So...I gotta replace them. Which are better?

Straps

1358623707_UseonDanaSpicer1350SeriesPinionYoke_1350-1410Strapbol.jpg

Or the U-bolt style

yga-41199_ml.jpg

Reactions: Hawkeye
Your yoke will determine which style you use. U-bolts are stronger.

Reactions: Chris
Pulled this from the Rubicion Axle swap thread a week or so ago.
An unthreaded yoke means someone replaced the OE yoke that comes with threaded holes for use with straps with a different style yoke style meant for a u-bolt instead of straps. Having used both types, I'd replace that yoke with one that has threaded holes meant for straps to hold the u-joint in. U-joints don't need a big u-bolt to hold them in, the yoke is what does that regardless of what holds the u-joint's bearing cap down inside the opening. Not to mention it's very easy to over-tighten the nuts on a u-bolt which will ruin the u-joint.

Reactions: Mike_H
I have u-bolts since I purchased my set of upgraded Dana 44 axles. They came with yokes for u-bolts
Make sure not to overtighten the u-bolt's nuts which is entirely too easy to do. Overtightening them will take out the u-joint's bearing cap and needle bearings underneath.

And while the additional strength of a big u-bolt may seem like a good idea, as I did when I installed one many years ago, it's just not needed. It's the yoke that provides the strength to hold the u-joint under lots of stress, the u-bolt or strap barely has to do anything... it just needs to hold the bearing cap down in the yoke which doesn't take much strength... that downward direction is 90 degrees from the direction of the force applied to a u-joint.

If the additional strength of a u-bolt holding the u-joint was needed or beneficial I'd sure be running them on my driveshafts but I'm not. I'm running the standard Dana straps. :)

Last edited:
Make sure not to overtighten the u-bolt's nuts which is entirely too easy to do. Overtightening them will take out the u-joint's bearing cap and needle bearings underneath.

And while the additional strength of a big u-bolt may seem like a good idea, as I did when I installed one many years ago, it's just not needed. It's the yoke that provides the strength to hold the u-joint under lots of stress, the u-bolt or strap barely has to do anything... it just needs to hold it down in the yoke which doesn't take much... that direction is 90 degrees from the direction of the force applied to a u-joint.

If the additional strength of a u-bolt holding the u-joint was needed or beneficial I'd sure be running them on my driveshafts but I'm not. I'm running the standard Dana straps. :)

I totally agree. It was not something I specifically requested when I purchased my axles back in 2010.

Some u bolts won't even grab the cap tight ...just sayin'

They make some nice aftermarket straps.

Old thread but related question…

How do you know what straps to buy? Is it some what universal that a Dana 44 needs this and a Dana 30 needs that? Can it simply be determined by the ujoint size?

So, If I have straps now, I need to continue using straps? I can drill the threads out of the yoke for U-bolts

Drilling is not a good idea. If you want to run ubolts you will want new yokes. I would just stick with straps and carry a few extra sets. If you get to where you are having to replace often then go to ubolts.

Old thread but related question…

How do you know what straps to buy? Is it some what universal that a Dana 44 needs this and a Dana 30 needs that? Can it simply be determined by the ujoint size?

It is determined by what ujoint you are using. For 1310 (5-153x and 5-1310x) use kit 2-70-18x.