Ugh... P0301 code

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just as I'm leaving tonight for the North Cascades, my Jeep throws a P0301 code at me. I suspect that it fired after I held my starter an extra 500 milliseconds longer than usual, but I can't get the code to clear. The freeze frane showed th RPMs at 253 when it fired, so I dunno.

It is driving fine, in fact I'm already 100 miles from home - will this damned CEL clear itself eventually or?

Side note, FWIW - I did a spark plug (Autote XP 985 IIRC) and (Mopar) coil pack replacement after I had a code fire for either cylinder 1 or 6 about 4K miles ago. I can't remeber if it took a battery cable disconnect to get the code to go away or of it jsut went away on its own on that occasion, so maybe I'll try that.

Kinda rough driving at night with this CEL glaring at me!

If it’s driving fine, I wouldn’t worry about it. The code may go away on it’s own, but not necessarily. I would clear it with a scanner and see if it comes back or not. Could just be a fluke.

I was getting that occasionally too. Never affected driveablity. I did switch out my plugs to the autolight Iridiums (the number escapes me at this moment) from champion traditional plugs. I haven't had the CEL since. I also have a bad fuel pressure regulator or leaking injector, as my jeep very rarely starts on the first crank of the key. I'm almost positive the two items are related. I just haven't dug into it yet.

Reactions: jeep_boss
I was getting that occasionally too. Never affected driveablity. I did switch out my plugs to the autolight Iridiums (the number escapes me at this moment) from champion traditional plugs. I haven't had the CEL since. I also have a bad fuel pressure regulator or leaking injector, as my jeep very rarely starts on the first crank of the key. I'm almost positive the two items are related. I just haven't dug into it yet.

Good choice, those Autolite XP's that I put in were also Iridiums - I had read nothing but positive feedback on them!