Unable to track down engine rattle noise

Seawolf99

I have a 99 2.5 liter wrangler. My engine makes a tapping/ slapping/ tick noise that is louder when your under the Jeep. Sounds like the rattle inside a paint spray can sometimes.
I have been chasing this noise for a long time. I was told it was the timing chain. And water pump. Those did not resolve it. It was louder at start up and would make the Jeep idle like crap for a bit.
Things I have replaced.
Timing chain
Transmission
Oil pan . Had big dent in it
Oil sending unit
Cat
Water pump
Thermostat
A lot of sensors
O2 sensors
Spark plugs from dealer.
It has a crack in the gas tank so I can only fill it half way.

Am I looking at a manifold crack? One guy said it was just noisy lifters and it will prob run that way for a long time. It was getting worse every day. Seems to be slightly better after replacing the spark plugs. I added an oil thickening agent that I used to use in my old truck. I can do basic things that just take logic but most of this has been done my a mechanic and nothing has changed this noise or idle issue beside the snow it’s a lot less loud.

May want to consider dropping the oil pan to get a look at the underside of the pistons. There have been cases where the piston skirt snaps off. My son's 2.5 tapped until the piston said no more and self destructed. Could be as simple as a manifold gasket too.

Last edited:
When I got my TJ SE back in August it sounded like a lawn mower. Turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket. The manifold itself was fine. I also replaced the plugs, wires and cap. It’s got about 213k miles on it and now runs like a top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of noises going on there.

Have you pulled the valve cover yet, wondering if there could be a collapsed lifter in the mix.

Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope, they are like $5 at Harbor Freight.

Take the belt off and start it, but don't let it run long, just enough to hear if the noise is there. If you don't hear the noise it's something in the belt drive (fan, alternator, idler/tensioner pulley, power steering pump...). If the noise is still there it's something in the motor or exhaust.

The belt is easy to remove and install, all you need is a 1/2 drive ratchet and about 10 minutes, even if it's your first time. Look it up on YouTube.

Take the belt off and start it, but don't let it run long, just enough to hear if the noise is there. If you don't hear the noise it's something in the belt drive (fan, alternator, idler/tensioner pulley, power steering pump...). If the noise is still there it's something in the motor or exhaust.

The belt is easy to remove and install, all you need is a 1/2 drive ratchet and about 10 minutes, even if it's your first time. Look it up on YouTube.

The 2.5 has a manual adjust pulley I think 15 MM but loosen the pulley bolt first then use a socket on the adjuster right next the the forward header connection on the head.