Under rear seat storage - any ideas?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
in looking to optimize every inch of the vehicle (and prioritize out-of-sight options), I'm trying to find something to add storage under the rear seat.

I do leave the rear seat in always, so removal isn't an option. I just want something slim and secure to store some stuff that right now lives in my trunk. I use a Tuffy security trunk enclosure, so their underseat drawer isn't an option.

In the trunk is a socket set in a hard case, wrench roll, misc tool roll, two molle pouches containing jump pack and deflator/tire patch kit, first aid kit, air compressor, and tool bag with ratchet straps and bungee cords. In the summer it also contains my windows rolled up.

Many of these items are flat and would make good candidates for under the rear seat. But rather than sticking them there loose I'd love to have some sort of flat hinged container(s) I could pull out like a drawer all at once. Which would also make it easier for me to throw a few bungees across it to keep it secure and somewhat out of sight.

I've seen someone use 30cal cans, and I just tried it out but it sits a little too flush and visible for me.

Anyone found a good way to capitalize on this space? Or can suggest a product I could repurpose as such? I'm imagining an ultra slim rifle style case or something like that. But haven't had much luck.

With the angle of the seat bottom it would have to be wedge shaped to take full advantage, and then it would only be removeable from the front. I think it would cost space as well because without it you can still stuff things in up in there even if they poke upwards into the seat spring area, but a hard flat box wouldn't have that advantage and you'd lose that upward space. You could build something with 1/4" plywood and use some 1X board for the ends to screw the plywood to but again it would be more limiting and cumbersome than just securing individual cases under there. You barely have 3.5" of height at the front (unless you raise the seat). To secure things you could use small straps, I have my subwoofer secured with straps into the small footman loops near the sides of the seat. I've added more footman loops for things like my ice chest, they are available many places. You could also stuff things in there that wouldn't fly around and hurt anyone like soft recovery gear, tarp, gloves, air hose, foul weather gear etc. Get some cloth bags and just squeeze it all in there tightly.

Reactions: Rygrego
I have almost all my tools (the few other tools are in my console) in one of those flat socket/tool set cases pushed under the seat. It pretty much takes up the entire space and even allows me to roll the seat forward etc.

Yeah I sort of regret going with their security trunk enclosure and wish I'd have opted for the under seat drawer - however I've heard that the spacing you have to do to the seat brackets makes the headroom pretty lousy for rear passengers.

I do have the driver's seat drawer which I use constantly and love. The glove compartment is next, and ultimately a center console (I have a tan interior and really wish they still made the khaki versions)

https://tuffyproducts.com/?gad_sour...2VbAeiBVDX8biAiBkWK_h4cKMT-smOSRoCAS0QAvD_BwE

I installed their under rear seat security drawer and it was a solid storage area. I later added their glove compartment door and most recently replaced my center console with their version.

Tha
https://tuffyproducts.com/?gad_sour...2VbAeiBVDX8biAiBkWK_h4cKMT-smOSRoCAS0QAvD_BwE

I installed their under rear seat security drawer and it was a solid storage area. I later added their glove compartment door and most recently replaced my center console with their version.

That thing looks pretty nice and I didn't know they existed. I assume the seat belts attach to the top of the Tuffy enclosure? I would consider it if not for my powered sub woofer which I am not ready to re-locate at this time.

under seat.jpg

I have almost all my tools (the few other tools are in my console) in one of those flat socket/tool set cases pushed under the seat. It pretty much takes up the entire space and even allows me to roll the seat forward etc.

I may look into this - might even be able to find an old socket set case I can dremel all the molding out of to be able to fit whatever I want in it for nearly no $$.

Reactions: Rickyd
With the angle of the seat bottom it would have to be wedge shaped to take full advantage, and then it would only be removeable from the front. I think it would cost space as well because without it you can still stuff things in up in there even if they poke upwards into the seat spring area, but a hard flat box wouldn't have that advantage and you'd lose that upward space. You could build something with 1/4" plywood and use some 1X board for the ends to screw the plywood to but again it would be more limiting and cumbersome than just securing individual cases under there. You barely have 3.5" of height at the front (unless you raise the seat). To secure things you could use small straps, I have my subwoofer secured with straps into the small footman loops near the sides of the seat. I've added more footman loops for things like my ice chest, they are available many places. You could also stuff things in there that wouldn't fly around and hurt anyone like soft recovery gear, tarp, gloves, air hose, foul weather gear etc. Get some cloth bags and just squeeze it all in there tightly.

only removable from the front is pretty much my only option, since the Tuffy trunk enclosure basically isolates the tiny trunk area from the front and top of the vehicle, turning the tailgate door into a safe, basically.

you make a good point though, I wonder if just stuffing and maybe securing with a strap would be sufficient and I'm overthinking it. Provided I kept it all a few inches back I think it could work fine - obscurity is basically the best form of security I can hope for at this point since there's no real option for anything that locks and is fixed in place, like a drawer. My jeep has been rifled through countless times (city, soft top, don't lock it) but no one has ever found the few things I keep shoved under there currently. And I'd like to keep it that way. Everything else is in the concealed carry driver's seat drawer or the locked trunk.

I didn't realize your security issue. In that case, if you have access to metal working tools, I might try and fab something up. I've made enclosures for surveillance DVR's before in unoccupied buildings where break ins were occurring so they couldn't get to the DVR, I framed them with light angle and tack welded in some heavy gauge expanded metal. For the door I used welded hinges and padlocks, but a cabinet lock could easily be fitted as well.

I still have one secured in the back of my truck with camper shell that I stash things in when we are out on the boat.

Reactions: t00th
I didn't realize your security issue. In that case, if you have access to metal working tools, I might try and fab something up. I've made enclosures for surveillance DVR's before in unoccupied buildings where break ins were occurring so they couldn't get to the DVR, I framed them with light angle and tack welded in some heavy gauge expanded metal. For the door I used welded hinges and padlocks, but a cabinet lock could easily be fitted as well.

I still have one secured in the back of my truck with camper shell that I stash things in when we are out on the boat.

I don't have such skills, but have a buddy who's got them in spades. Maybe custom is the way to go. Probably going to be expensive, but it's not like I wouldn't shell out for a quality commercial product if it was offered. So why not.

I’ve been thinking about the exact same thing recently. Don’t want to raise the seat much because of headroom, but want to secure stuff under it. I wish the tuffy under seat drawer was a bit better in the headroom sense. I’d consider it then… but I have a powered subwoofer mounted to the tailgate so I would have to relocate that too. There really isn’t much in terms of options. I did look briefly at some under-desk locking drawers that I thought could be repurposed for this use, but didn’t really look into it too far. Might be worth looking at again…

I’ve been thinking about the exact same thing recently. Don’t want to raise the seat much because of headroom, but want to secure stuff under it. I wish the tuffy under seat drawer was a bit better in the headroom sense. I’d consider it then… but I have a powered subwoofer mounted to the tailgate so I would have to relocate that too. There really isn’t much in terms of options. I did look briefly at some under-desk locking drawers that I thought could be repurposed for this use, but didn’t really look into it too far. Might be worth looking at again…

Funny, I was also looking at metal desk drawers, just yesterday. They seem to all mount very simply with four screws sent upwards (into a ... desk). Need to flip my seat and see what the structure looks like under there. Maybe something could be accomplished with a full-width piece of plywood secured to the seat bottom and the locking drawer zipped into that. Or maybe just in the front half, enough to level the drawer against the slope of the seat so it doesn't open upwards at an angle.

Reactions: Austin O.
Funny, I was also looking at metal desk drawers, just yesterday. They seem to all mount very simply with four screws sent upwards (into a ... desk). Need to flip my seat and see what the structure looks like under there. Maybe something could be accomplished with a full-width piece of plywood secured to the seat bottom and the locking drawer zipped into that. Or maybe just in the front half, enough to level the drawer against the slope of the seat so it doesn't open upwards at an angle.

I’m definitely gonna look into that a bit more. I didn’t initially think to connect it to the seat somehow. That’s a much better idea. I was gonna try to connect it to the tub.

IIRC, back in the day there was a wedge-shaped box that fit under a CJ rear seat.
I think it was hinged in the front and didn't raise the seat much.
I can't find a picture of one.