Unknown wire harness

IronCity

TJ Enthusiast
So I was wiring in a new rocker switch for my Led's. I removed the dash and switch plate which is blank bc I rock an X and noticed a wire harness placed into one of the blanks. Anyone know what this is used for? I also found another wire harness under my upper dash where the defrosters blow.

Our Jeeps have one basic wiring harness so there are lots of unused connectors scattered around depending on how the Jeep is configured, The wiring behind the blanks could have been for the Rubicon's lockers or Defogger switch, or the automatic's Overdrive switch. The wiring under the defroster vent cover is for the optional mirror with a compass and lights.

Reactions: SSTJ and IronCity
Our Jeeps have one basic wiring harness so there are lots of unused connectors scattered around depending on how the Jeep is configured, The wiring behind the blanks could have been for the Rubicon's lockers or Defogger switch, or the automatic's Overdrive switch. The wiring under the defroster vent cover is for the optional mirror with a compass and lights.

Can I install a locker switch and have that accessory or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the wiring harness for the lockers found on the Rubicon models may be separate from the main harness. Maybe I'm wrong...

Rubicon lockers are complex beasts as the factory installed them. That wiring harness you found may or may not be for the Rubicon locker switch and is not likely something you'd want to use for a locker. Aftermarket lockers don't depend on complex wiring systems like the Rubicon lockers do so if you installed an aftermarket locker that used a switch, like the Eaton E-Locker and ARB Air Locker, you'd use the switch and wiring they provide in their kit. Not all lockers require electrical circuits however. :)

Reactions: Chris
I wish I knew for what, I guess I can stop by jeep and ask

Are you referring to the one behind the center console blank switches? If so, that's for the rear wiper / defrost that comes with the hardtop option.

That's what I thought it was but wouldn't it come with a switch? I have a hard top that has the wiring built in it but I don't see a harness in the rear cab to plug into the hard top.

That's what I thought it was but wouldn't it come with a switch? I have a hard top that has the wiring built in it but I don't see a harness in the rear cab to plug into the hard top.

No, it wouldn't come with the switch.

For the hardtop conversion you also need the rear harness as well from what I recall.

I actually don't know. I'll let someone else chime in who may have installed a hardtop that didn't come with their vehicle. Mine came with a hardtop, so I'm just going off what I've heard.

I have been trying like all get up to remove one of the blanks so I can install a switch for after market fog lights. I have pressed the tabs on the blanks to no avail. Anyone have any secrets how to remove these bad boys?

Fonz

I have been trying like all get up to remove one of the blanks so I can install a switch for after market fog lights. I have pressed the tabs on the blanks to no avail. Anyone have any secrets how to remove these bad boys?

Fonz
You need to remove the switch panel first then once behind the panel, you be able to see the cover that's there where the switch would go. Now, on that blank are some tabs at the top and bottom that simply need to be gently pryed away and the cover should fall back and away from the panel. (check you tube on this, there might be a video that shows someone doing just this very thing.)

Thanks Fyr - I had the panel out but could not the blanks to move for love or money. I then soaked them with Simple Green I was finally able to get one out.

Thanks Fyr - I had the panel out but could not the blanks to move for love or money. I then soaked them with Simple Green I was finally able to get one out.

Awesome!! Glad I was able to help out.............Just paying it forward!

Virtually all TJ’s have same wiring harnesses. It’s just more economical than a separate loom for every possible combination. Where it’s located it’s probably one of these...rear window wiper or rear window spray.

Tj’s have very different wiring harnesses depending on the year and the options. If you look under the q&a section there is a book of parts that show various things. Soft top/hardtop fog/no fog all change thing

That post contradicts the previous post.........
Heisenberg says that all TJ's have the same wiring harnesses (post #18), now we are hearing in post #19 from T Crawford that the TJ wiring harnesses are different. SO, are they all the same or are they different?? Kinda confusing.