Unusually Big Timber Rattler

I'm not sure what "the roundup" is, but I have a guess. One of my great grandpaws used to live in Homestead, FL back when it was still everglades, and he hunted wild bore and rattlesnake down there. I have a few pictures of some big snakes he shot, and a few baby rattles made from rattlesnakes. That was back before the big snakes got loose. I've seen pictures and video of what they're hunting down there now. Gators don't bother me, but there ain't no way I'm going out in the swamp knowing about some big ass snakes.

Sorry, Sweetwater TX.

How close did you get? What were your thoughts on that process. I’ve only seen it in Justified so I don’t know much about it. Guessing they have some anti- venom handy?

At the services we, me and a fellow snake wrangler would sit in the back of the church.

These folks IMHO had true faith in what they believed in. No anti-venom and if they did get bit, 99% of them wouldn't go to the hospital.

There used to be a TV series about the churches that handle snakes, Snake Salvation, if I remember correctly.

I got interested in the religious part from reading the book "Salvation on Sand Mountain" which is where I live.

The churches that handle snakes are slowly dwindling away, due mostly to states making it illegal to handle or be in possession of poisonous snakes. There are just a few left where it's legal.

Speaking of snakes, I don’t know if any of you listen to the Bear Grease podcast, but this was an interesting episode:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bear-grease/id1559983625?i=1000652716966

Good episodes like these are getting rare now but his older stuff was awesome. It’s a rare educational and entertaining podcast that the whole family can listen to. But anyway - cool story about cobras in the Ozarks!

Reactions: John Cooper
At the services we, me and a fellow snake wrangler would sit in the back of the church.

These folks IMHO had true faith in what they believed in. No anti-venom and if they did get bit, 99% of them wouldn't go to the hospital.

There used to be a TV series about the churches that handle snakes, Snake Salvation, if I remember correctly.

I got interested in the religious part from reading the book "Salvation on Sand Mountain" which is where I live.

The churches that handle snakes are slowly dwindling away, due mostly to states making it illegal to handle or be in possession of poisonous snakes. There are just a few left where it's legal.

We stopped at a reptile show in Louisiana to waste some time. Walking around looking at what was for sale you start seeing rattlers, cobras, black mambas, vipers etc. I don't understand people who want to own them but more power to them.

Several of us where I used to work would catch venomous snakes for the local snake handling churches.

They would try and pay us for them, but it didn't seem right to take their money.

Went to Several of their church services, but never felt compelled to handle one in church.

My church's pastor is somewhat of a joker. Last time we had group of people join the church he finished up by saying "alright, now head back to the lobby and pastor David will have your snakes". I don't know if any of them believed him but it got a good laugh.

When I was bush hogging regularly, I used to find a yellow jacket nest at least once or twice a season, but I never once thought about jumping off. I'm guessing he did?

I jumped out of my LJ a few weeks ago when a yellow jacket flew up my shorts.

It didn't sting me, it seemed injured or stunned. I think it may have been smacked by the side mirror at 50mph and then bounced up there.

I did bring it to a stop first, but couldn't find the words to tell my wife what was going on until after it was over.

The churches that handle snakes are slowly dwindling away

There are still a few in the NC/TN/GA/VA/SC mountains, but I don't know what kind of snakes they mess with. A friend of mine went to one in the Cherokee area. It was his one and only time.

Reactions: John Cooper
Two days ago, a chick I know had her hand bitten/broken by her ex’s 14 ft python that decided to bite and wrap her arm instead of the rat food. Nope!

When I was in hs, a fellow classmate’s grandpa was brush hogged to death. I didn’t dare ask him about it I just felt really bad for him.

There are still a few in the NC/TN/GA/VA/SC mountains, but I don't know what kind of snakes they mess with. A friend of mine went to one in the Cherokee area. It was his one and only time.

Most around here handle Copper heads and timber rattlers. They uses to love it when we went to South Georgia and brought back Water Moccasins.

The folks around here don't keep snakes in captivity for much over a month.

They claim snakes get used to being handled. They like a wild caught snake because in their words "that's where faith comes in"

Most around here handle Copper heads and timber rattlers. They uses to love it when we went to South Georgia and brought back Water Moccasins.

SOB, I don't know why they want to mess with those. We have all three here, but timber rattlers are few and far between. Copper heads are really common, and water moccasins can be found pretty easily. I'll leave a black snakes alone, but the rest have to go, usually the way of 'ol yeller.