(Updated) Milwaukee M18 XC6.0 High Output Deal!

My 10 yo two cycle Troybilt string trimmer finally pushed me over the edge and I angrily went to home depot and bought that trimmer (just that with one 8Ah battery plus the 5Ah they throw in with a current promotion). It's life changing...Don't think I'll ever go back to gasoline.
I have never used a gasoline-powered weed trimmer that wasn't a pain in the ass to get started. The last one my wife bought got used exactly twice before it failed to start. After an hour of screwing with it, it went to the dump. The next one was electric. So much nicer, save for dealing with the extension cords. I'm really hoping this Milwaukee doesn't disappoint.
That's the trimmer I got, it's so much nicer than the Ryobi 4 stroke it replaced
Too late now, but you all really should give still Stihl a chance for gasoline powered equipment. Good power, easy to start, long lasting. I have the kombi-motor setup for trimming, edging, and other stuff. It's kinda like the red addiction.... There are so many cool accessories you can attach to the same power head...

https://dougssmallengine.stihldealer.net/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/

Too late now, but you all really should give still Stihl a chance for gasoline powered equipment. Good power, easy to start, long lasting. I have the kombi-motor setup for trimming, edging, and other stuff. It's kinda like the red addiction.... There are so many cool accessories you can attach to the same power head...

https://dougssmallengine.stihldealer.net/products/multi-task-tools/kombisystem-attachments/
I'd have bought the Milwaukee trimmer if I didn't have a really nice Stihl trimmer in the garage. Electric is simpler.

Reactions: Squatch
As my wife tends to be the "keeper of the yard", simplicity is a huge plus. Did I mention that she cut into an extension cord a few years ago while trimming the hedges? :ROFLMAO:
I used to have a battery powered trimmer and definitely understand their simplicity. It’s nice and quiet plus it only runs when you need it too. No mixing fuel either.

I used to have a battery powered trimmer and definitely understand their simplicity. It’s nice and quiet plus it only runs when you need it too. No mixing fuel either.
I changed to a 4-stroke Husqvarna trimmer years ago, no mixing gas, more torque versus 2-stroke and no ear plugs.

Reactions: Squatch
I changed to a 4-stroke Husqvarna trimmer years ago, no mixing gas, more torque versus 2-stroke and no ear plugs.
The last gas-powered trimmer my wife bought was from Home Depot. She specifically told the guy she didn't want to have mix the gas. The guy told her "This is the one you want, then." When she got it home, I pointed out that it was a 2-stroke, and the instructions in the book, as well as the label on the tank, told you the ratio of oil to gas for the mix. Needles to say, it was promptly returned for a refund.

We do have a Husqvarna lawn mower, though, and it's a pretty nice piece of equipment.

Reactions: flyinfish
my last remaining 2 stroke tool is my chainsaw. It hasn't had a lot of use but it's still running great so I'm probably stuck with it for a while. The new property has hundreds of post oak trees that will need cut down and chopped up for firewood so maybe I'll wear it out doing that and can justify buying something different. I haven't done any research on chainsaws though to know if I'd even want a cordless, or a 4 stroke, or if 4 stroke saws even exist. I see Milwwaukee has a 16" M18 Fuel that has pretty decent reviews and claims the power to cut hardwoods. Pricey though when packaged with the 12Ah battery.

The string trimmer came with a rapid charger and it makes short work of an 8.0 battery

I had planned to sell the charger since I already have one but when it looked different than the one I have (which came with a M18 recip saw) I took a second look and noticed it was rapid. I don't know enough about lithium ion battery technology to know if the rate of charge plays into the quality of charge or battery service life...if it did I'd probably keep the standard charger because I plan to stock up on enough batteries not to really need a rapid charge. I've already got a 3, 5, 8 and may end up with a 12 if I buy their chainsaw.

my last remaining 2 stroke tool is my chainsaw. It hasn't had a lot of use but it's still running great so I'm probably stuck with it for a while. The new property has hundreds of post oak trees that will need cut down and chopped up for firewood so maybe I'll wear it out doing that and can justify buying something different. I haven't done any research on chainsaws though to know if I'd even want a cordless, or a 4 stroke, or if 4 stroke saws even exist. I see Milwwaukee has a 16" M18 Fuel that has pretty decent reviews and claims the power to cut hardwoods. Pricey though when packaged with the 12Ah battery.
I have way more chainsaws than I should but they've all served me well through the years. I still use a few of them every year here on the Oregon Coast because it's a jungle here. They chainsaws range from 36" bar length down to 16" and all 2-strokes until a couple years ago when I purchased a Dewalt 60v chainsaw and pole chainsaw. The Dewalt 60v lasts a long time and doesn't make the noise of a Stihl 2-stroke screaming away. I was surprised at how handy it was from small stuff to felling a tree. They are also light which makes it easy to throw on the backhoe seat on tractor while you doing brush clean up and the like. There's lot's of good battery powered options out there and the technology keeps getting better but when you need to work on the large wood, it's time to break out the big dogs!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I have the Milwaukee, I don't hate it but I'm not a chainsaw snob. I've had several versions of gas powered versions over the years and due to little use, they always were a pita to use for fuel, mixing fuel and whatnot. The Milwaukee sits in the shed, it doesn't care that I ignore it for years on end, and when I need it, it works every single time.

*UPDATE: Thanks to LJ, I was made aware of an even better deal on three tool kit options.*
There are three kits that are cheaper at $269 for the 3/8 Impact, Grinder and Hackzall. Otherwise $299 for the other tool options is the best I've come across in this sale. Please read the entire post so you don't pay $30 more than you need to.

*Here's the links: ($269 smokin' deals have expired, although still on sale at $299)*

$269 $299 3/8" Impact Kit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...tteries-Charger-2854-20-48-59-1862S/316086547

$269 $299 Grinder Kit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ies-and-Charger-2880-20-48-59-1862S/316086228

$269 $299 Hackzall Kit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ies-and-Charger-2719-20-48-59-1862S/316086163

$299 Battery Kit w/Choice of Free Tool:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ery-and-Charger-48-59-1862S/315426486#overlay

Original Post:
I was at Home Depot yesterday and they have a really good deal going on.

I bought two high output XC6.0 batteries w/ charger kit for $299 and got a free tool. I picked the 11 amp paddle style variable trigger grinder model# 2880-20. I wanted the 2886-20 flat head grinder but it wasn't one of the tools on the list, besides it costing $279 for the bare tool. The Milwaukee rep was there and after speaking with him, he said the battery kits will go quick, but he is a rep.

This deal is available online and in store.

View attachment 332778

Thanks for giving me an excuse to use my Home Depot Credit Card and MIL Discount. Ordered the 3/8 Impact Kit with 86pc impact sockets 🤘🏽

Six day delivery, even with a three day weekend.

20220601_170446.jpg

Grinder package showed up today, two days late. Shipping box looked like they rolled it down the stairs at the Empire State Building but the Milwaukee boxes look perfect.

Grinder package showed up today, two days late. Shipping box looked like they rolled it down the stairs at the Empire State Building but the Milwaukee boxes look perfect.

If I thought it would make a difference at all I would hunt down the Amazon driver who delivered a small flat package with some heat shield cloth in it and throw rocks at him, it, her, whatthefuckever pronoun works now.
Cheap chinese fold up box, 3/4" tall and about 8" x 10". Has the flap closure on one end with the two tabs like a pizza box.

It was open since it wasn't taped shut. The reason it was open was hilarious. It fell off the dolly and got run over, that wasn't good enough so they backed up and ran over it the other way, that didn't quite do the job so they ran over it again and stopped in the middle of it trying to make up their mind which direction to drive off of it and tried several before finally figuring it out. Yes, all of those dolly tire prints are on one side.

There were no less than 4 opportunities to tape it shut with all the labels, label pouch, and crap stuck on the outside of it.

It was open since it wasn't taped shut. The reason it was open was hilarious. It fell off the dolly and got run over, that wasn't good enough so they backed up and ran over it the other way, that didn't quite do the job so they ran over it again and stopped in the middle of it trying to make up their mind which direction to drive off of it and tried several before finally figuring it out. Yes, all of those dolly tire prints are on one side.

UPS did a bang up job on my delivery and they attempted to tape the box back together. Even the grinder box was damaged so they worked pretty hard at it. The box looked like it should have had at least one tire mark on it but not the case.

Box Damage 2.jpg

Box Damage 1.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
UPS did a bang up job on my delivery and they attempted to tape the box back together. Even the grinder box was damaged so they worked pretty hard at it. The box looked like it should have had at least one tire mark on it but not the case.

View attachment 334600

View attachment 334601

Looks like your box was more properly sized. Mine was at least 3' x 1' x 1', way more packing in it than Milwaukee stuff.

Looks like your box was more properly sized. Mine was at least 3' x 1' x 1', way more packing in it than Milwaukee stuff.
Why they use such massive boxes to only fill them 20% is beyond me. Some of the smaller heavier items will literally exit the box leaving nothing but a hole if they aren't immobilized. I can't count the number of times I've received packages with pieces sticking or hanging out and items missing.
I guess most importantly the tools weren't damaged. Now it's time to put it to work!

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and Apparition
Why they use such massive boxes to only fill them 20% is beyond me. Some of the smaller heavier items will literally exit the box leaving nothing but a hole if they aren't immobilized. I can't count the number of times I've received packages with pieces sticking or hanging out and items missing.
I guess most importantly the tools weren't damaged. Now it's time to put it to work!

Yep, thanks for starting the thread and spending our money.