Upgrade early model HVAC slide knobs to late style turn knobs?

X2 Had both. The slides are easier to repair

X3 my sliders are all original, fan everything original. Buddy has a 2000 and the fan keeps melting the controls because too much water gets in them. The blend door motors die at the worst times. Theres alot of electrical nonsense that isnt needed. Idk why anyone considers this an upgrade!!! Id rather have the sliders, its a cable that moves the blend door and when it breaks its cheap to fix if it ever breaks. The blend door motor is NOT cheap. Also those control heads are getting expensive as more and more tjs fry them.

X3 my sliders are all original, fan everything original. Buddy has a 2000 and the fan keeps melting the controls because too much water gets in them. The blend door motors die at the worst times. Theres alot of electrical nonsense that isnt needed. Idk why anyone considers this an upgrade!!! Id rather have the sliders, its a cable that moves the blend door and when it breaks its cheap to fix if it ever breaks. The blend door motor is NOT cheap. Also those control heads are getting expensive as more and more tjs fry them.
Here's the problem. I just bought the 1998 TJ and it needs some work. One of the items is the blend door isn't working. At some point in time, the previous owner changed out the heater/ac box for one out of a 2000, so there is no place to connect the cable to, it uses the motor. Motor is not installed at the moment, he used a screw driver to move it from hot to cold. No cable anywhere either. So, I either change the rest of the controls to match the box or change out the heater box. By the way, the slide controls are getting really expensive and have only found used ones, the rotary knob version is relatively cheap. I had some questions on the conversion related to what parts of the new harness are used vs. the old harness as the write up I found on this site, it looks like you are reusing old connectors from original harness, and want to confirm everything.

• Wow
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Well that certainly has you in a situation, i am sure if the slide controls are present you might be able to put the blend door in from a slider box or attach an arm where the motor is supposed to go that the cable can pull on and viola!! problem solved.

I just upgraded my heater box one with a/c and the newer control's. I used the parts from 2004 TJ. Mine is a 1997. There is a difference in the boxes. The newer one has the blower fan completely inside the jeep and the older one the blower motor sticks through a hole in the firewall. The newer box fits fine you just have to block off the hole. I used a piece of sheet metal and rivets. I have photos I will try to get posted. I don't have all the outside a/c parts yet. Have to get those parts together.

I know this an older thread but trying to find out if what you did works, I have a 97 with a bad frame, I have a complete 2004 with a bad tub, want to use my 97 tub with the ac, engine trans wiring all from the 2004, does the ac heater box fit with out any mods to the tub beside covering the hole in the firewall