Upgrade list opinions

My TJ is about to become my daily (roughly 10 minutes to work and back) and I plan to make a few upgrades. I'm hoping to get some opinions.

1.) I currently have a 2" spacer lift on stock springs with Rubicon Express economy shocks on it. I am happy with the ride height and since I'm about to add a 1" body lift I don't really care to raise it anymore. My main goal is to improve the ride quality. Could I get some improvement by keeping the stock springs / spacer and putting better shocks on it? Or should I bite the bullet and get new springs? I don't want to spend OME money on a kit so I'd be limited to about $500-$600ish on a kit. I'd still want to stay at 2 or 2.5" on the suspension lift if so.

2.) Looking at the Daystar 1" body lift since it includes new factory pucks along with the additional lift. Nothing really to ask here unless you would recommend something better in that price range.

3.) I currently have no carpet with my tub coated with Raptor Liner. I've been contemplating putting in the BedRug carpet kit to cut down on road noise and help with the temps. Anyone have this kit and notice a substantial difference in either of those fields?

4.) I'm eyeballing the Barnes offroad rear plate bumper. I like the minimal look of no bumper but would prefer to still have tow points in the back. Opinions on this method? Looks simple enough and the point are in between the frame mounts so should be plenty strong.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/TJ-LJ-Rear-Tail-Plate-Bumper_p_308.html
5.) Plan on adding a simple stubby front bumper from Smittybilt just to have something up there. My factory front is all dented and this is mainly for looks along with a place to mount a winch. I tend to like a minimalist look.

All in budget needs to be around $1000 or just over. I seem to be pretty close with these numbers.

Thanks for any help!

1) Shocks control ride quality. Put new shocks on it and see the difference. You can always replace the springs later.

2) The Savvy is better with the aluminum pucks vice the poly.

3) Bedrug will help dramatically with both sound and temp control. It's pricey but worth it.

4 & 5) Whatever you like best will work.

Reactions: Maroonandwhite
My TJ is about to become my daily (roughly 10 minutes to work and back) and I plan to make a few upgrades. I'm hoping to get some opinions.

1.) I currently have a 2" spacer lift on stock springs with Rubicon Express economy shocks on it. I am happy with the ride height and since I'm about to add a 1" body lift I don't really care to raise it anymore. My main goal is to improve the ride quality. Could I get some improvement by keeping the stock springs / spacer and putting better shocks on it? Or should I bite the bullet and get new springs? I don't want to spend OME money on a kit so I'd be limited to about $500-$600ish on a kit. I'd still want to stay at 2 or 2.5" on the suspension lift if so.

2.) Looking at the Daystar 1" body lift since it includes new factory pucks along with the additional lift. Nothing really to ask here unless you would recommend something better in that price range.

3.) I currently have no carpet with my tub coated with Raptor Liner. I've been contemplating putting in the BedRug carpet kit to cut down on road noise and help with the temps. Anyone have this kit and notice a substantial difference in either of those fields?

4.) I'm eyeballing the Barnes offroad rear plate bumper. I like the minimal look of no bumper but would prefer to still have tow points in the back. Opinions on this method? Looks simple enough and the point are in between the frame mounts so should be plenty strong.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/TJ-LJ-Rear-Tail-Plate-Bumper_p_308.html
5.) Plan on adding a simple stubby front bumper from Smittybilt just to have something up there. My factory front is all dented and this is mainly for looks along with a place to mount a winch. I tend to like a minimalist look.

All in budget needs to be around $1000 or just over. I seem to be pretty close with these numbers.

Thanks for any help!

1) Get a set of Rancho RS5000X shocks and a set of 2" ProComp springs. That can be done for $600 or less and will provide a fantastic ride. Ride quality has everything to do with the shocks, and those Rubicon Express shocks aren't going to be doing you any good.

2) Skip that Daystar body lift as the mounts are poly and will distort over time. Go with the Savvy 1.25" body lift as the pucks are made from alloy.

3) The carpet may help with heat a bit and noise to a degree. I have the BedRug and really like it. However, the biggest difference will come from sound deadening the interior of your TJ.

4) That Barnes bumper is a good choice.

Should I be looking at Hydro or Nitro charged shocks? From my quick reading it seems that Nitrogen charged shocks are a little more stiff.

Search around for the ACC Carpet thread before you buy Bedrug. I know that is probably the way I will go (still running stock carpet + Weathertech mats).

Search around for the ACC Carpet thread before you buy Bedrug. I know that is probably the way I will go (still running stock carpet + Weathertech mats).

There's a big difference between carpet and a Bedrug. I've run Bedrug in three Jeeps and as a bedliner in two trucks. It's durable, fade resistant, deadens sound and heat, and, most importantly, never gets that musty carpet smell. Yes it's a little pricey, but it's absolutely a quality addition to the TJ/LJ interior!

There's a big difference between carpet and a Bedrug. I've run Bedrug in three Jeeps and as a bedliner in two trucks. It's durable, fade resistant, deadens sound and heat, and, most importantly, never gets that musty carpet smell. Yes it's a little pricey, but it's absolutely a quality addition to the TJ/LJ interior!
I’m with you in this. Bedrug just has a nicer look to me as well.

Reactions: Irun
I’m with you in this. Bedrug just has a nicer look to me as well.

A rare combination of looks and function. I used the heck out of it for over 6 years in my truck bed. Still looked great when I sold the truck!

3) The carpet may help with heat a bit and noise to a degree. I have the BedRug and really like it. However, the biggest difference will come from sound deadening the interior of your TJ.

This. I have bedrug in my TJ and it helped with heat but if i'm driving barefoot my feet will start burning after a while...
I actually am planning on doing the sound deadening that was linked here. I daily my TJ and I want a more quality ride that doesn't give me drivers fatigue. I believe this deadening will help get me where I want.

Reactions: Chris