Upgrading a basic utility trailer

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
For those that know more about trailers than me (and if you know more than that trailers exist and that people buy them, that probably includes you), I curious what it would take to run JK pattern wheels on one of the basic utility trailers you can get from any hardware store.

All I'm looking to tow around is camping gear, some bicycles, and eventually a canoe/kayak.

For my needs basically a trailer with two platforms would be ideal. I don't need the box style you see on something like the old M-100/416's etc.

I like the looks of something like this:
C8345016-B079-402B-848B-C9B9FD2A4BBA.png

What does it take to get JK compatible hubs on something like that? I acknowledge it's overkill for the weights I'm carrying, but I like the looks of that- along with maybe making some tail lights that match my wife's JK.

Anyway, just seeing if my idea is idiotic, and if so, to what extent.

All you need is to buy, and install, a hub with the same bolt pattern as the JK wheels and that also fits the spindle and bearings on your trailer.

Just last year I replaced a 6 lug hub on a little trailer to a 5 lug that matches the TJ hubs. It enabled me to run the same wheels as the TJ. Etrailer.com is a good online source.

Reactions: Apparition
All you need is to buy, and install, a hub with the same bolt pattern as the JK wheels and that also fits the spindle and bearings on your trailer.

Just by measuring the spindle and the hub diameters the correct bearings should be available unless we're trying to put some huge hubs from a heavy truck on the smallest trailers out there.

I'm pretty sure BDI is where I got some bearings I needed by walking into their building long before the interweb started. Today they have an on line cart but I'd probably just walk in again even though their address has changed. I don't remember the exact $$ amount but they saved me about 50% for new spindle bearings for my CJ5 compared to what 4 Wheel Drive Hardware wanted for the same Timken bearings in the late 1980s.

I was lucky that the bearings that came off my trailer still had legible numbers on them. I ordered an entire hub kit from etrailer that came with the hubs, bearings, washers and cotter pins. I don’t recall if it came with new castle nuts or if I used my old ones.

Thanks for the info.

Long term, I plan to make this a project a learning exercise in welding with lower stakes than starting with projects on my LJ.

It's crazy- 5 years ago, the thought of a trailer to take camping would have been anathema.

A wife, 2 kids, and the dog really chew up back seat real estate in a hurry- even in a JKU.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It's crazy- 5 years ago, the thought of a trailer to take camping would have been anathema.

A wife, 2 kids, and the dog really chew up back seat real estate in a hurry- even in a JKU.
We camped every fall for years with the same group from our neighborhood. We did not travel lightly and took smokers, gas grill, bicycles, firewood etc etc. Not everyone towed a trailer but usually at least two of us would.

I'd assume that F150 is roughly equivalent to my GMC and I towed this for 900 miles without any trouble. I'm sure this Uhaul trailer is heavier than your aluminum.

View attachment 234564
F150 Tranny went out leaving Moab last year. Had to fly back a month later to get it. Pretty sure there was an underlying condition but now I’m also pretty sure my new truck will be overkill for pulling my Jeep. Went from a 2” receiver to a 3”.

Plus, the mountains in CO are no joke to pull over.

But back on topic, I really like the truck as a base camp and also the trailer to be there incase an issue arises. Last year the radiator popped (on the LJ) on the first day wheeling, could have just as easy been the last and I’d be swapping it instead of driving home on time.

We camped every fall for years with the same group from our neighborhood. We did not travel lightly and took smokers, gas grill, bicycles, firewood etc etc. Not everyone towed a trailer but usually at least two of us would.
We camp all the time and make it work.

Currently, we've got a JKU with an Oztent strapped to the roof (just a ground tent, but still pretty big), on the back, we've got a titan fuel tank, spare tire, Thule bike rack modified to fit the 35" tire, hitch rack with the kids bikes, and all the rest of the gear fits inside.

Even with the Teraflex upgraded hinges, it seems like a lot.

We camp all the time and make it work.

Currently, we've got a JKU with an Oztent strapped to the roof (just a ground tent, but still pretty big), on the back, we've got a titan fuel tank, spare tire, Thule bike rack modified to fit the 35" tire, hitch rack with the kids bikes, and all the rest of the gear fits inside.

Even with the Teraflex upgraded hinges, it seems like a lot.

Yeah that is a lot of weight to carry even for a JKU.

I have a M416 modded with a SOA lift, 3500 lbs dexter axle, bed rack modded to fit and RTT on top. It’s a cool little 4x6’ trailer that is tough, short and works great behind a Jeep. We have strapped our kayaks on the tent, hauled out water, fuel, gear and wood and other stuff for a week of camping for five with ease.

It will be for sale but you are on the wrong side of the nation. 😂

Reactions: Apparition
Build a frame, or buy a cheap trailer then ditch the stock axle, and put a Dexter axle with the correct hubs underneath it. Etrailer and many other places sell them.

Have you considered wheel spacers? I've put Jeep 5 x 4.5" wheels (MOABs, Ravines, Eccos, etc.) on a few trailers and have many trouble free miles on them. JK's have a 5 x 5" bolt pattern so you would need different spacers than what I used but they are common.

You may also have to deal with the Jeep wheel centre hole being a smaller diameter than what is common for trailer wheels. Spacers will cure that too. I used 2" spacers on this axle which gave me the back spacing I needed.

EXP3.jpg

20-10-19 6.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah that is a lot of weight to carry even for a JKU.

I have a M416 modded with a SOA lift, 3500 lbs dexter axle, bed rack modded to fit and RTT on top. It’s a cool little 4x6’ trailer that is tough, short and works great behind a Jeep. We have strapped our kayaks on the tent, hauled out water, fuel, gear and wood and other stuff for a week of camping for five with ease.

It will be for sale but you are on the wrong side of the nation. 😂
My dad has an M416 sitting in the backyard that hasn't moved in over a decade.

Yet for whatever reason, he won't let me buy it from him. IDK why he prefers to let it sit there and rust away next to the rotting hulk of the YJ he also wouldn't let me drive in High School when it was still serviceable.

Strange guy.

There is 1 M-416 available on Craigslist near me, but it appears to be mostly rust held together with paint.

My dad has an M416 sitting in the backyard that hasn't moved in over a decade.

Yet for whatever reason, he won't let me buy it from him. IDK why he prefers to let it sit there and rust away next to the rotting hulk of the YJ he also wouldn't let me drive in High School when it was still serviceable.

Strange guy.

There is 1 M-416 available on Craigslist near me, but it appears to be mostly rust held together with paint.

Most are rusting or rusted out at this point, the last ones were made in 1978 or so.

There is a company that makes kits or builds you a full trailer like the 416. He’s about 15 miles from my house, super nice guy and I bought a few parts from him.

https://dinoot.com/?amp=1

If anything, get some ideas or parts for a trailer you build.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Most are rusting or rusted out at this point, the last ones were made in 1978 or so.

There is a company that makes kits or builds you a full trailer like the 416. He’s about 15 miles from my house, super nice guy and I bought a few parts from him.

https://dinoot.com/?amp=1

If anything, get some ideas or parts for a trailer you build.
I've browsed that site a few times. The thought of rolling my own is attractive, but I'm becoming more and more aware that I simply don't have time to DIY as much as I'd like.

Between two wranglers and a 100+ yr old house, you can imagine.

Reactions: Rick Flair