Upgrading my cooling system on my Jeep looking for recommendations

OlewhiteTj

Hey guys I am looking into upgrading my cooling system I’d like to do what ever is best for the 2002 4.0 3 speed TJ. I just know it’s past time to replace the cooling system. Also I am about to drive 1400 miles to my new home in my TJ so I wanna make sure my cooling system is up to par !!!

If its not overheating its working fine. You could replace the thermostat and flush the radiator if your unsure of the last time it was done

If its not overheating its working fine. You could replace the thermostat and flush the radiator if your unsure of the last time it was done
Looking into updating it regardless, like I said it’s past time. Im looking for recommendations on best parts to upgrade to enhance my cooling system

This thread has all the info you seek and more:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Cooling System Overhaul FAQ

(y)

There is NO BETTER COOLING SYSTEM THAN THE STOCK COOLING SYSTEM, PERIOD.

Any of the "upgrade" parts you are finding are junk, pure and simple. Want to try an "upgraded radiator"? Why? What will you gain from that?

Try a Mishimoto radiator and see how long it lasts :LOL:

Seriously though... I can't stress this enough. There is no "upgrade" for the stock cooling system. The stock cooling system does it's job 100% and attempting to make your engine run cooler than it's designed to will have negative effects on your engine such as decreased fuel economy and performance. The engine and PCM were designed to run within a certain temperature range.

Looking into updating it regardless, like I said it’s past time. Im looking for recommendations on best parts to upgrade to enhance my cooling system
If you want throw money away thats your call, but if its not overheating theres no reason to start changing parts. If you still want to replace everything then get a new waterpump, fan clutch and radiator hoses and thermostat.

If you want throw money away thats your call, but if its not overheating theres no reason to start changing parts. If you still want to replace everything then get a new waterpump, fan clutch and radiator hoses and thermostat.
Like I stated before it’s past time for it

(y)

Any of the "upgrade" parts you are finding are junk, pure and simple. Want to try an "upgraded radiator"? Why? What will you gain from that?

Seriously though... I can't stress this enough. There is no "upgrade" for the stock cooling system. The stock cooling system does it's job 100% and attempting to make your engine run cooler than it's designed to will have negative effects on your engine such as decreased fuel economy and performance. The engine and PCM were designed to run within a certain temperature range.
Mopar

Last edited:

(y)

https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem...Eq-MdaKmwAgsAmg&slotNum=33&tag=wranglerorg-20 is this the correct radiator for a 4.0 3 speed 2002 Tj

Okay cool thank you very much I just wanted to make sure me having a 3 speed auto didn’t make a difference

It does, but that radiator is the one for the automatic transmission you have. The other version of it is a different part number and is for the manual transmission models.

The only difference is that the manual transmission version doesn't have a provision on the bottom for the transmission lines to go into to cool the transmission fluid.

You can use the automatic version on a manual or an auto, but the manual version can only be used on the manual.

Either way, that link is indeed the correct radiator for your 3-speed 32RH transmission.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It does, but that radiator is the one for the automatic transmission you have. The other version of it is a different part number and is for the manual transmission models.

The only difference is that the manual transmission version doesn't have a provision on the bottom for the transmission lines to go into to cool the transmission fluid.

You can use the automatic version on a manual or an auto, but the manual version can only be used on the manual.

Either way, that link is indeed the correct radiator for your 3-speed 32RH transmission.

I'd like to interject a question - If I put a tranny cooler in, can I use the manual radiator. Does the manual radiator have more coolant capacity since the tranny fluid isn't running into it?

I'd like to interject a question - If I put a tranny cooler in, can I use the manual radiator. Does the manual radiator have more coolant capacity since the tranny fluid isn't running into it?
You can, you shouldn't. More capacity only means that it takes a few more seconds for the radiator to get up to temp when the coolant starts circulating when the thermostat opens. The trans cooler in the radiator does more than cool the trans. It also warms it up when needed. Leave it like it is and if you want additional trans cooling, add a cooler inline with the OEM cooler.

Reactions: Chris
You can, you shouldn't. More capacity only means that it takes a few more seconds for the radiator to get up to temp when the coolant starts circulating when the thermostat opens. The trans cooler in the radiator does more than cool the trans. It also warms it up when needed. Leave it like it is and if you want additional trans cooling, add a cooler inline with the OEM cooler.

Thank you very much and makes sense

You have said "past time" a few times. What is the specified cooling system replacement time? If you are not overheating or leaking then what more do you expect the system to do? I have tractors from the 30's and 40's that still have all original cooling systems. Drain, flush, refill coolant and you are done. Is your Jeep overheating? Leaking or burning coolant? Heater core blocked up? Those would be a reason the cooling system is past time. Working correctly doesn't make it past time. Again, what are you expecting to improve on?

Reactions: Jramos013