Upgrading tires, do I need to upgrade suspension now?

Swartzad

Hey all, new to the forum but have a quick ask. VERY novice Jeep guy but looking forward to learning.

Ive had my 98 TJ now for a year and its essentially stock. Ive wanted to put 31s on it, but before I go any further with that I have a few questions.

1. I believe I can put 31s on it without additional lift. Is that recommended? Ive got 28” tires on there now.
2. I know I eventually want a 2” lift on it. Is now the right time to do that before I upgrade wheels and tires? Should i be concerned on any additional stress that the larger wheels will put on the original suspension?

Thanks all and happy to have found the forum

These are your choices to make. If your 28's are still good and you want a lift, do that first. That would be me. I'd dial in the suspension before worrying about tires. Your first post without a Jeep picture is costing you cool points.

• Haha
Reactions: dschwes
These are your choices to make. If your 28's are still good and you want a lift, do that first. That would be me. I'd dial in the suspension before worrying about tires. Your first post without a Jeep picture is costing you cool points.

Thanks Flivver. I've fixed myself and added a photo.

If you aren't heading off road more than a easy trail you can get away without a lift first. If you are planning to put those 31s to good use then do the lift first.

Reactions: CodaMan
I have been running 31's on my Jeep for about 2-3 years now with no problems/suspension upgrades. I just installed a 2" OME lift and now I am looking to upgrade to 32's or 33's. 31's in my experience are fine both with and without a lift, just depends on if you off-road or not.

I've run 31" tires on a stock Jeep for 10 years, full flex off-road thousands of miles, 100,000 miles on the street. Zero issues even with the sway bar disconnected. You'll be fine, they might rub a tiny bit when you make a u-turn, it isn't a big deal. People have issues when they get the wrong shocks or the wrong wheels or other aftermarket stuff. Stock is no problem.