Upper radiator hose coolant leak

darkmavis

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping someone may have had a similar issue that can offer advice. I had a leak develop on the top hose where it meets the engine. I tightened the clamp but if I tighten it too much the bolt keeps spinning and loosens the clamp. The clamp is near the end of the hose, should it be raised higher on the hose? A few days later the other end that meets the radiator started leaking as well. I tightened that clamp too. Anyone else have this issue? My Jeep is a ‘99 Wrangler TJ 4.0 sport

If the screw in the clamp turned as you said and didn't pull the clamp band, it's stripped and garbage. You'll need to replace the clamps. Place the new one just before the bulge in the hose from the fitting within.

Reactions: Chris
You’d be best to use a constant tension hose clamp like this.

5C2B9EF1-89B8-4925-AD86-390D15C124FE.jpeg

Those worm screw clamps can leak even worse when you tighten them too much. They pinch the hose and put all the pressure on 1 point. Use the correct hose clamp⬆️ and it will apply force all 360* around the hose. You can actually crack plastic under the hose if you overtighten the worm screw clamps.

Reactions: John Scoggins
Thank you all for your responses! I suspected it may be the clamp; the hose itself looks OK but has a brownish tint to it-I think from all the offloading. I’ll definitely be replacing it with the clamps suggested. Thank you again!

Go for the more expensive silicon hoses. They (supposedly) last tongue and don't break down from engine heat and are far less likely to split and fail.

I’m trying to find the clamp listed above, the largest one I have found goes up to 1 3/4” while the hose on at least one side is 2” Any suggestion on where to find them?

I got one of those clamp tools that you use your own safety wire and wrap it around the hose and then tighten it up. Magic! Tight hose clamp for any size hose. So far I've had pretty good luck with it. It just requires room to work the tool.