Use of water to clean valve deposits?

H_Nunez

TJ Enthusiast
Hi Forum, I've read repeatedly on this forum about people using water in the intake as a way to clean valve deposits. Is there a comprehensive "how-to" guide to do this. I have not been able to find it. I`m sure there`s a right and a wrong way to do this... I`m concerned about drowning the pistons...

HN

I've done this many times, it's pretty simple. Just fill an empty soft drink can or similar with 12 oz. of water. Its small opening will allow you to trickle the water out with good control. Start the engine then trickle the water into the throttle body slowly enough so it takes 1-2 minutes to drain the can. Just be careful to not lose control of the water container so the water is not dumped into the engine all at once that could cause hydro lock.

This method was discovered during WWII after they started using water injection in allied aircraft engines to give them more power for high altitude flying. Mechanics then noticed the engine internals were sparkling clean after the water injection started, it's been a well-proven technique ever since. I watched a mechanic working on a 427 Corvette using this technique to clean the engine internals that were completely carboned up and causing the engine to run like crap. The Corvette's owner was driving it too conservatively which causes carbon build up. To avoid carbon build up in our Jeep engines just drive them very aggressively once in a while, revving them hard to high rpms every so often is enough to keep the internals clean. I do it on highway/freeway on ramps where it is less likely to be noticed.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Chris
This is a bit of a polarizing topic, but in my opinion it's a great way to clear out carbon deposits in the engine. You just need to drizzle—emphasis on drizzle—water in the intake, so a few droplets hit the pistons, vaporize, and clear out the deposits. Some people use Sea Foam as an alternative; there are plenty of YouTube videos about the topic.

No matter if you use Sea Foam or water, you will get a cloud of black smoke from your exhaust as the carbon burns off. You definitely run a risk of plugging up your cats, so keep that in mind.

This is a bit of a polarizing topic, but in my opinion it's a great way to clear out carbon deposits in the engine. You just need to drizzle—emphasis on drizzle—water in the intake, so a few droplets hit the pistons, vaporize, and clear out the deposits. Some people use Sea Foam as an alternative; there are plenty of YouTube videos about the topic.

No matter if you use Sea Foam or water, you will get a cloud of black smoke from your exhaust as the carbon burns off. You definitely run a risk of plugging up your cats, so keep that in mind.
The carbon can be cleaned out for free with plain tap water or you can pay $$$$$ for Sea Foam which doesn't clean the carbon out any better.

This method was discovered during WWII after they started using water injection in allied aircraft engines to give them more power for high altitude flying. Mechanics then noticed the engine internals were sparkling clean after the water injection started, it's been a well-proven technique ever since. I watched a mechanic working on a 427 Corvette using this technique to clean the engine internals that were completely carboned up and causing the engine to run like crap. The Corvette's owner was driving it too conservatively which causes carbon build up. To avoid carbon build up in our Jeep engines just drive them very aggressively once in a while, revving them hard to high rpms every so often is enough to keep the internals clean. I do it on highway/freeway on ramps where it is less likely to be noticed.

I remember "Buffs" B-52's rolling out the black exhaust on take off when the water was injected, especially when loaded up.
USAF 2nd AMS Barksdale SAC '73-'77.

Thanks for your replies, I just did that. I waited for the engine to warm up, borrowed the wife`s water spray and started the process. Initially it expelled some black smoke, but not too much, it cleared out in 2 mins, (I guess the engine was not as dirty as I thought). I left it running for a few mins afterwards to assure full water evaporation.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Blondie70
I remember "Buffs" B-52's rolling out the black exhaust on take off when the water was injected, especially when loaded up.
USAF 2nd AMS Barksdale SAC '73-'77.
Not many forums would allow me to decode that Buffs term used with B-52s. Big ugly fat fuckers. :ROFLMAO:

The whole point is to generate steam. The rapid expansion of liquid water to steam gives an extra boost to compression while at the same time cooling cylinder temps. Who ever thought up this idea is quite a genius. Steam cleaning the carbon off was just a happy bonus. Less is more when doing this as too much water can over-cool the cylinder temps and actually create deposits by inhibiting the fuel burning hot enough.