Used axle inspection

Assforkr

TJ Enthusiast
So, 90% confident I'm buying a used 8.8 tomorrow.

I'm going to pop the diff cover and confirm it's the 31 spline carrier and that the ring gear is stamped.
I'm going to bring a measurement layout for the bracket locations.
I'm going to bring a straight edge to make sure the housings aren't bent.

Other than bringing a dial indicator what else should I examine?

I don't recall a way to determine whether it is 28 or 31 spine without pulling an axle. Since the bearings ride on the axles it is quick to pull the axles and check for wear and spline count. Look for chips in the gear set. Double check the ratio.

Reactions: Assforkr
I don't recall a way to determine whether it is 28 or 31 spine without pulling an axle. Since the bearings ride on the axles it is quick to pull the axles and check for wear and spline count. Look for chips in the gear set. Double check the ratio.

Awesome advice. Thanks!

Maybe someone with experience or access to the axle can confirm whether it's possible to get a vernier caliper onto the axle shaft inside the pumpkin and get an accurate measurement. The 31st are 1.29" and the 28s are 1.18"

Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure that all Explorers/Mountaineers had 31 splines. I think where the variations are are in Rangers and Mustangs.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure that all Explorers/Mountaineers had 31 splines. I think where the variations are are in Rangers and Mustangs.

There's dates and years to take into account but yeah, the pickups had the smaller shafts. But who knows ya know. Things happen and I hope most of the materials are factory...But paranoia is a mother....

You didn't specify what the 8.8 was out of so I assumed it was a Explorer/Mountaineer. I think if you are getting one of those the only choice you have is 31 (I think) If you are getting one from a Ranger you are right they can be either, but the axle in the ranger will stick out pretty far in your TJ I believe. I don't think you are going to want it if it is not out of an Explorer or Mountaineer in my opinion.

You should double check me about the Explorer, because if I am right, then that is one less thing you have to worry about. I am pretty sure I am right though.

You didn't specify what the 8.8 was out of so I assumed it was a Explorer/Mountaineer. I think if you are getting one of those the only choice you have is 31 (I think) If you are getting one from a Ranger you are right they can be either, but the axle in the ranger will stick out pretty far in your TJ I believe. I don't think you are going to want it if it is not out of an Explorer or Mountaineer in my opinion.

You should double check me about the Explorer, because if I am right, then that is one less thing you have to worry about. I am pretty sure I am right though.

Ahh see now this is gold right here. I didn't know that the axle flange to flange were different between the pickup models and the SUVs. 58.5" in the ranger vs the 53.5" in the SUV, which according to everything I read we're exclusively 31 spline shafts.

You sir...are the man!!!!

Reactions: ac_