Used PC issue

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I bought this used PC desktop from Amazon Renewed. It has a 90 day warranty. And tech support.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJDFZRF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Initially I had a pretty bad lag problem. Where the computer would slow down. And the mouse would not respond correctly for maybe 15 to 20 seconds.

I had done windows update. And gotten advice to use the Dell update software. Which is like windows update. Except for Dell bios and other core software items on Dell pcs. I ran that and it updated alot. Seemed to correct the issue.

But I still get lad on some websites. When they start to load it lags. The cursor slows down and stops respinding correctly. But only for a few seconds. Then the site loads. And everything is ok.

Could this be a video card problem? Or onboard graphics i should say? Do I need a video card? I do have two open pcie slots one 1x and one 16x. But I have a hard time believing that a PC with these specs would have a problem like that.

Should I exchange it? Any other solutions? I do have tech support on this item. I guess I should call them first. I'm only a couple weeks into my 90 day warranty. But if I'm going to exchange it I'd rather do it before I spend a ton of time on set up and customization.

Lastly, i could reformat. But would like some more solid advice before wasting any time on that process.

I'd be tempted to return it, they don't really check anything on those refurbs from what I've seen, just install the system again and send faulty units out in the hopes that will fix it. You shouldn't be getting lag browsing the web on that machine. Could be something is running in the background, could be the browser is messed up somehow? I'd just format and install windows from scratch but that's not a big deal for me. Does the correct memory show up when you check? The cursor slowing down means something isn't right obviously.

Get rid of it. You don't have the warranty time to screw around with it. It may be nothing, or it may be something...

When I worked IT, we had once VERY high end HP workstation come in that was kind of like this - weird slowdowns for no apparent reason. HP came in several times and damn near replaced everything in the machine except the power cord. Still did it - and yea, the operating system was rebuilt several times during this flail. Eventually, HP just replaced it with an identical computer and we had no further problems - then asked me if I wanted the original one back if they got it fixed: "HELL NO!!!"

This entire flail took longer than any 90 days to resolve - this isn't to bash HP or anybody else - just to illustrate that lemons can come from anyone. If you only have 90 days to resolve this, get rid of it.

I set up an exchange. New one coming in a week. I just can't take the risk. I only have a 90 day warranty like everyone mentioned. If it happens with the next one I will reformat one or both. And see if i can fix the problem. I may even try that with this one.

I don't have time to play around with this. And there is a finite number of these items for sale. And I dont want them to run out. Its a good deal. And no additional cost to end up with two to try to find one that works. And if for some reason they run out before shipping me another. I will reformat the one I have to try to fix it.

I knew this going in. About 60% of reviewers had no problems. Maybe 20% had to return or exchange. And the other 20% inbetween figured out a fix.

For the price and specs i was willing to take the chance. I also learned that they most likely can be upgraded to windows 11 too. Just takes a bit more to do it. That was the only drawback to this system as it was supposedly not upgradeable to win 11. But research since shows I probably can.

Thanks for the response. I will try to monitor task manager tonight and see if I can catch it doing it again. And probably just go ahead and reformat this weekend.