Using a winch to move a concrete slab

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Somebody tell me if this is a horrid idea, or if its possible...

I have a concrete slab - about 7 by 3 feet square. Its sitting on Florida sand. I have this crazy idea of backing my Jeep into the backyard about 20 feet away from this thing and winching it over about 12 feet. I'm thinking of wrapping a tree strap around it, digging under the leading edge, and seeing if my Jeep's winch will slide it over. My main concern is keeping the strap from pulling off of the slab and/or moving the Jeep instead of the slab.

Any advice? Don't do it?

Somebody tell me if this is a horrid idea, or if its possible...

I have a concrete slab - about 7 by 3 feet square. Its sitting on Florida sand. I have this crazy idea of backing my Jeep into the backyard about 20 feet away from this thing and winching it over about 12 feet. I'm thinking of wrapping a tree strap around it, digging under the leading edge, and seeing if my Jeep's winch will slide it over. My main concern is keeping the strap from pulling off of the slab and/or moving the Jeep instead of the slab.

Any advice? Don't do it?
Since it weighs more than twice your Jeep you may have to strap the Jeep to a tree first.

Reactions: Rick Flair
4” thick concrete weighs about 50 lbs per sq ft, about 1000 lbs for your slab, Jack it up, put some 2” pvc under it for it to slide on and you should be able to move it right over
But he has a 3 foot x 3 foot x 7 foot slab, 63 cubic feet at about 145 lbs per cubic foot = 9135lbs

But he has a 3 foot x 3 foot x 7 foot slab, 63 cubic feet at about 145 lbs per cubic foot = 9135lbs
I think this sounds like a sidewalk slab 4 to 5 inches thick. 3foot X3 foot sounds like something at cape Canaveral not in a backyard.
Give it a try with the Jeep chained to the Benz as a deadman.

I think this sounds like a sidewalk slab 4 to 5 inches thick. 3foot X3 foot sounds like something at cape Canaveral not in a backyard.
Give it a try with the Jeep chained to the Benz as a deadman.
Hey, that's what he said. Concrete companies sell those large retaining wall blocks made from leftover concrete, maybe he has one of those.

I saw 7’x3’, I must have missed 3’ thick somewhere?
The thickness wasn't stated or yet known. ( Zorba will check it out I'am sure ).
Dig a little , try the winch , Jeep , benz deadman. you can always get a skidsteer or 500 coolies later if this doesn't work.

Reactions: TJ Starting
The thickness wasn't stated or yet known. ( Zorba will check it out I'am sure ).
Dig a little , try the winch , Jeep , benz deadman. you can always get a skidsteer or 500 coolies later if this doesn't work.
He did write 7 feet by 3 feet square

Last edited:
Yea, yea - its 4-ish inches thick. No room to deadman the Benz or anything else.
Build some good wheel chocks and give it a try. A snatch block could be used to slow your line speed and double line pull.
Wow what a surprise that this isn't the monolith from 2001 a space odyssey. 🤣

Well that's a big difference, Moving 1K with a winch is no problem. I dragged a 10 x 12 shed without rollers about 100 feet no problem.
My main concern is keeping the tree strap wrapped around the ass end of the thing. I'm figuring on using a snatch block so I can pull more from one side of the Jeep as there's a fence on one side. If it'll get moving, I *think* it'll just slide right along on the Florida sand...

My main concern is keeping the tree strap wrapped around the ass end of the thing. I'm figuring on using a snatch block so I can pull more from one side of the Jeep as there's a fence on one side. If it'll get moving, I *think* it'll just slide right along on the Florida sand...
That's pretty much what I did, used a tree choker with the snatch block and did a side pull. Slid pretty good with the wood runners on the gravel drive.