Using existing truck brake controller to flat tow (like a trailer)

mousehunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am wondering if something is possible... I tow trailers fairy often for work. Most of my trailers have electronic brakes that use my truck's electric trailer brake controller (with booster) and a 7 pin harness. While Texas does not require trailer brakes to tow a TJ (or LJ), I kind of like the safety factor of it. Do any Jeep flat tow brake systems use standared electric trailer brake controller (in the towning vehicle) and/or a break away to deploy emergency brakes?

——
When looking at new toys, there is always some justification on why it is "needed". My justification for this quest is to be able to self shuttle vehicles for down river kayaking. I used to paddle hundreds of hours a year (3-4 days a week, plus vacations), and having a flat tow shuttle vehicle was the best system I saw anyone use. Many locations simply were not trailer friendly. Creating the best solution would include the best brake controller-something reliable, fast, and easy to use. (FWIW, the person who used this system did it without tow brakes).

For what it's worth, Test drove an LJ today and think it could work perfectly for this-but kind of want to know what I am in for before I enter this rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I am wondering if something is possible... I tow trailers fairy often for work. Most of my trailers have electronic brakes that use my truck's electric trailer brake controller (with booster) and a 7 pin harness. While Texas does not require trailer brakes to tow a TJ (or LJ), I kind of like the safety factor of it. Do any Jeep flat tow brake systems use standared electric trailer brake controller (in the towning vehicle) and/or a break away to deploy emergency brakes?

——
When looking at new toys, there is always some justification on why it is "needed". My justification for this quest is to be able to self shuttle vehicles for down river kayaking. I used to paddle hundreds of hours a year (3-4 days a week, plus vacations), and having a flat tow shuttle vehicle was the best system I saw anyone use. Many locations simply were not trailer friendly. Creating the best solution would include the best brake controller-something reliable, fast, and easy to use. (FWIW, the person who used this system did it without tow brakes).

For what it's worth, Test drove an LJ today and think it could work perfectly for this-but kind of want to know what I am in for before I enter this rabbit hole.
This is a great non electronic way a of tow brake,I ended up with two of these nib if you need one,I have it in the classifieds

1E71E29E-6BD8-41A8-8685-44DFA513C2F0.png

I like my Demco Stay in Play braking system. Everything mounts permanently in the jeep and all that is required to tow is to hit the switch on the box and hook up the break-away cable. I towed my Jeep to the shop the other day because I didn't have a ride home available. The braking system worked fine hooked up to my truck, just as it does behind the motor home.

I want to tow at highway speed, ranging from 20-90 miles (those could be as frequent as a couple times a week)- with a couple of 200 mile trips a year. If I am towing weekly, I want it to be as painless as possible.

I guess the market is limited for people who tow jeeps with trucks rather than RV's, and since it is not illegal to do it in Texas without brakes - I guess it is just not cost effective to make a product. I just really like my trucks current brake controller and the thought of adding a second controller is annoying.

I want to tow at highway speed, ranging from 20-90 miles (those could be as frequent as a couple times a week)- with a couple of 200 mile trips a year. If I am towing weekly, I want it to be as painless as possible.

I guess the market is limited for people who tow jeeps with trucks rather than RV's, and since it is not illegal to do it in Texas without brakes - I guess it is just not cost effective to make a product. I just really like my trucks current brake controller and the thought of adding a second controller is annoying.
Most quality flat tow braking systems do not require a controller in the tow vehicle. The one I helped my father install in their 2016 JKU is all self contained in the Jeep. There is a red LED indicator that you can (if you want) mount in the tow vehicle to let you know when/if the braking system is actively braking. The control unit mounts under the seat and contains a vacuum pump that ties in to the brake booster. The brake system is triggered by the brake lights coming on, then an inertia switch determines how much braking is needed. The one on their JK uses a cable and a pulley to pull the brake pedal from the firewall. They're not the least expensive but they're also not the most expensive either...

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/invisibrake/index.php

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRTFIW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I have not seen a flat tow set up that uses a brake controller like you asking about. I use this system and it works flawlessly but it’s spendy. However it’s ease of use and ability to use it in any vehicle including both my TJ and JK made it worth it to me. It takes me about 45 seconds to place it and set up and I’m good to go. It does have a breakaway switch but I think they all do, I believe it’s required.

https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibr..._598uIrCR42Rr6zEun3nZ0EUrJNg4gMhoCJ7MQAvD_BwE