USS Yorktown

Mudflat

TJ Enthusiast
Here’s the USS Yorktown (CV-10) steaming across San Francisco Bay with a deck load of Jeeps to be delivered to the Pacific War on September 15, 1943.
Of course, there were much more urgent priorities at the time, but that would sure be “Jeep Heaven” for guys like us.

IMG_1542.png

Here’s the USS Yorktown (CV-10) steaming across San Francisco Bay with a deck load of Jeeps to be delivered to the Pacific War on September 15, 1943.
Of course, there were much more urgent priorities at the time, but that would sure be “Jeep Heaven” for guys like us.

View attachment 522176

This is cool. My son is Stationed aboard the USS New York and he will love this. 🇺🇸

If you like carriers, read the history of the USS Yorktown CV-5. She was a beast of a ship and went down fighting.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
WOW - she was BRAND new in the picture.

If you want to read probably the best book on a carrier battle check out Shattered Sword.

Reactions: Jamison C
She sits at Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant, SC now.

I went there a couple of times when I was a kid-early teens. The main thing I remember is seeing and climbing inside that WWII era sub. I was amazed at how small and cramped it was, nothing like in the pictures and ideas in my head. That sub was so small and narrow, even a small boat passing would shake it.

Yeah, that thing is tiny. My wife only spent a couple minute in there and said she couldn’t do it anymore. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
I went there a couple of times when I was a kid-early teens. The main thing I remember is seeing and climbing inside that WWII era sub. I was amazed at how small and cramped it was, nothing like in the pictures and ideas in my head. That sub was so small and narrow, even a small boat passing would shake it.

When I was in scouts we got to spend the night on the USS Yorktown. It was really fun

When my youngest son was in 3rd or 4th grade I took him down there over his spring break. After he graduated in 2011, he signed up for the Navy. We made another trip down there together shortly before he left for basic training. Got a couple pictures in the same location each time which was pretty cool to look back on how much he had grown. The first pic had the old bridge in Charleston and the second pic had the new one, which was kinda cool to see. He went into the Navy as an electricians mate and was assigned to the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) right out of A-school. He said it was pretty cool to have the memory’s of seeing the Yorktown and then being on The Ike shortly after.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weasellee and BlueC
Got a couple pictures in the same location each time which was pretty cool to look back on how much he had grown.

I love those kinds of pictures, but man, they've become a real gut punch lately, especially since both of my kids have stacked 4" in over the last 6 months.

• Wow
I love those kinds of pictures, but man, they've become a real gut punch lately, especially since both of my kids have stacked 4" in over the last 6 months.

I’ll have to dig those pictures up and maybe post them.

Reactions: BlueC
My grandpa's brother was a navy pilot that was on the Yorktown in the Pacific during WW2 and was one of the last people off the carrier before is sank (the first Yorktown). Also always told me a story about how his brother crash landed on the Yorktown at some point during the war as well. Not sure if it was the original Yorktown and the 2nd though.

Also always told me a story about how his brother crash landed on the Yorktown at some point during the war as well. Not sure if it was the original Yorktown and the 2nd though.

Did he make it through the war? Do you have any pictures?

Reactions: Shank
Did he make it through the war? Do you have any pictures?

He did make it through the war. I'll have to check and see about pictures, I know one of his other brothers was in the Marines and in Guadalcanal. He survived as well. It wasn't until after the war and they were home, that they found out they were both the Pacific at the same time. My grandpa had 6 brothers total, 4 fought in WW2 and all came home. My grandpa was in the Marines during Korea, only one of the brothers did not serve.

Last edited: