Vent relocation 32RH Auto 1999 TJ

Kbushnz

Hi All
I know this has been discussed before and I have seen everyone's ideas and mods. But I have yet to read which location is best and why.... Or does it really matter?
So here goes.
There are 3 possible mods for vents in the 32RH Trans... (that I can find)
1. Use the original vent hole in pump cover and fit a tube (extend original hole).
2. Block original hole and relocate it to the top of the case.
3. Block original hole and relocate it to the top of the extension housing.
4.???? Do both 1 and 3 or Both 2 and 3.

Issues with each?
1. Clearance between torque converter and fitting?
2. Placement in case can cause fluid to splash up into it and pump some fluid out? Vehicle angle (decent) can block hole with fluid ie no vent?
3. Haven't seen any .. Is there?

So please feel free to comment on real life experiences..
I want to do this right and once.... dont fancy dropping trans too many times or have to do a rebuild.

Cheers
Calvin

Note: Pics I have stolen off the net. lol Thankyou to those who own them.....

IMG_3423.jpg

ForumRunner_20121128_232916.jpg

Back when I was running the 3-speed auto I went with option #1. I tapped the hole on the pump cover with a npt pipe tap, installed a tight 90 degree fitting and ran a hard line out of the bell housing through a hole I drilled. I ran a hose from the hard line up the firewall and put a factory vent on it (like the differentials use). Worked well for years...

Ok an update on my thread..... I have made a vent up. Decided not to go with pulling pump and adding it onto top of housing. Read too many issues re pumping out trans fluid.
So have decided to extend the original vent hole (there is a reason it is there) hahaha. I have adapted the idea of putting a tube into the hole and sealing it in..... I didn't like the idea of just relying on sealant / adhesive to retain the tube so used one of the adjacent pump bolts to add a tab and physically hold it in place.
Will add a dab of sealant on install and also a smidge under the tab / bolt to seal the bolt .......
Tube was a donor pre bent vent tube from some random car parts I had laying around....
Now to clean up and put this trans back in....

vent.jpg

vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

vent3.jpg

vent4.jpg

Reactions: MichaelGH
Sorry to necro this thread, but there's a relevant discussion on another 32RH vent thread that linked to this one.

Any idea on exactly how much clearance needs to be allowed for if someone were to attempt this solution?

I used plasticine and pushed the torque converter in as far as it would be when installed to the flex plate. I got a gap of approx 17mm where the vent hole was. So in theory anything less will fit OK. But I went ultra conservative and used a tube that will only protrude 10 to 11mm out from the face. Not much higher than the pump bolts. Sorry its in mm but I am sure you guys and convert to inches.

• Haha
Reactions: hear