Vented Hoods

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I love the look of the louvred , vented hood plates in matte black ..

So here is my question-

A. Does it run cooler (seems it would help a ton)

B. Am I butchering a nice Rubicon

C. Should I get a replacement hood and save my stock hood rather than cut it

D. Pass on the whole idea

Thanks

Reactions: Shatto
The engine won't run any cooler, the thermostat controls that. It will help it remain cooler on hot days and take a little stress off the cooling system (not really that noticeable though). Not going to help with performance or cooling too much. The only thing it might help with is heatsoak. I want to get one for the looks and for heatsoak issues.

Good answers . I got ya on the T stat ..all makes sense .. i think it would look fantastic .

I need something that's not going to scare the crap out of the wife every time an oncoming semi tries to rip my hood off :)

As jodomcfrodo said, it won't run any cooler, but will keep underhood temps down. I had a heatsoak issue, and venting the hood stopped it. It also lets more fresh air flow under the hood, and that keeps everything else cooler under there.
And they look cool. See my Jeep-——-I
<———————————————————————-I

Reactions: MonkeyMike
Heatsoak means turbos ...you guys got em? How do they make em run ??

I drive a deleted f-250 during the day , so I'd love to get more out of that 4.0 mid to top .

I had heat soak issues for 4 years. I installed the poison spider louvered hood vent last week. It will vent off heat from around the engine compartment. I was at the same time running with a cracked head. All that said I did see my temp come back down to where it should run at. I think it has a 195 temp stat in it and it sets right there all the time now. The head was changed at the same time i had the hood off. I will post some pics up below.

Reactions: MonkeyMike
Heatsoak means turbos ...you guys got em? How do they make em run ??

I drive a deleted f-250 during the day , so I'd love to get more out of that 4.0 mid to top .

Turbos? I don't have a turbo. The common issue with heatsoak on TJ's comes down to the injectors (specifically #3). You can fix it with just some insulation and a zip tie. Mine likes to shake pretty good on startup if it is a hot day and it has been sitting for a few minutes.

In terms of turbos, I would never put one on my 4.0L. In my head, they are too fancy and complicated for something that I just want to work everyday and not leave me stranded out in the woods. Only reason I would ever put a turbo on my TJ would be if I was swapping in a Cummins as well.

Reactions: AndyG
167AC9F4-96A1-4F64-B28B-AEAABF85BA26.jpeg B192E2BA-FC35-47A2-8764-AB826C376F51.jpeg 6E412C58-9AC5-40EF-971D-ECF0D259787B.jpeg DA0C48D5-25C5-47E0-BB55-B756A8A3C14E.jpeg 7B51B091-E217-4139-973D-BDB7E95981D6.jpeg

I had heat soak issues for 4 years. I installed the poison spider louvered hood vent last week. It will vent off heat from around the engine compartment. I was at the same time running with a cracked head. All that said I did see my temp come back down to where it should run at. I think it has a 195 temp stat in it and it sets right there all the time now. The head was changed at the same time i had the hood off. I will post some pics up below.
I had heat soak issues too. Louvers didn’t fix it, insulation around the injectors did.

I tried the silver looking foil wraps on the injectors and the fuel rail. None of that even phased the heat soak problem at all. The vent hood cured all my problems with that. Isnt it crazy how different things works on different vehichles.

Turbos? I don't have a turbo. The common issue with heatsoak on TJ's comes down to the injectors (specifically #3). You can fix it with just some insulation and a zip tie. Mine likes to shake pretty good on startup if it is a hot day and it has been sitting for a few minutes.

In terms of turbos, I would never put one on my 4.0L. In my head, they are too fancy and complicated for something that I just want to work everyday and not leave me stranded out in the woods. Only reason I would ever put a turbo on my TJ would be if I was swapping in a Cummins as well.

Agree, and thanks for posting this .

My Jeep started randomly running rough on start up/ idle a few times recently ...hot days ...-I was perplexed..it has 23,000 miles on it .

I had no clue ....heat soak.