Very specific vibration: Could it be a u-joint?

wolf1790

Didnt really want to make a post about this but here I am.

Have a vibration at highway speeds but only in VERY specific circumstances:

When I'm at around 60-70mph and giving it gas, but so little that I'm almost slowing down, not maintaining speed. If I take my foot off the gas, accelerate harder, or brake, no vibration. It's not super severe, but definitely noticeable. I haven't been able to have anyone lean out and check the tires for wobble and I can't do it myself on the highway.

Also, I feel it in the jeep itself but not in the steering wheel.

Could it be a U Joint or the flange on the front outer axle? I somehow bent one installing a U Joint last weekend which is when this started, but managed to bend it back (I thought). Its the only thing I can think of that's changed.

If you bent a flange I'd replace that first. Looking at the only thing that changed is really smart. It might not fix it but is probably a good place to start or at least what I'd do.

Reactions: wolf1790
What flange are we talking about?

Screenshot_20190605-230934_Chrome.jpg

Check and see if that yoke is interfering with anything, such as the heads of the bolts for the unit bearings.

Check and see if that yoke is interfering with anything, such as the heads of the bolts for the unit bearings.

Yeah I did a pretty intense visual inspection when I put everything back together. No interference and no wobble or anything that I could see with the naked eye at slow speed.

That shaft never spins fast enough for it to be a balance issue. Something else is going on. Get under the Jeep and review all the work you did. Check your driveshaft ujoints and slip yokes for movement.

Reactions: wolf1790