Vibration / Suspension Advice

aslupecki

Supporting Member
Hi all - I purchased my (first) Jeep about 2 months ago (2005 LJ). It is higher mileage w 168K on the clock, but I believe it is completely stock. It runs strong and have had no issues, but suspension has felt both rough and loose and wiggly over bumps at the same time. I lowered tire pressure to 28 psi and that has helped some but it still felt funny over bumps or rougher road. No bump steer, but not solid. My plan is to rebuild most of the front suspension and steering once the weather got a little warmer. So, I got the tires remounted to white letters out and re-balanced last week. That is where it gets interesting. While on the highway last weekend, I had a terrible vibration. I would call it death wobble, but not according to what I read here. It started when I hit a bump at ~60mph and scared the crap out of me, but went away when I slowed to 45. I kept it under 55 rest of time and felt some smaller vibrations after bumps, but nothing as scary.

So the Jeep is back to the tire shop to have the wheels rechecked tomorrow. And, I ordered a Moog track bar on Amazon coming tomorrow. To my novice eye, everything looks older or maybe even original, but before I started throwing parts at it, I thought I would throw up a few pics to see what you all see. Based on what I have read, thinking at least new shocks, and ZJ upgrade after the track bar and then chipping away at more. Thanks in advance

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

I’ve had a similar experience with too much toe in.
Also, check your sway bar links are attached at the top. They look original an may have separated the ball and socket.

Update ... the tire shop said two tires were off by 1/2 oz and others were good. Would that be enough to start a serious wobble? My track bar is on it's way, so still planning to do that this weekend and see where I am at.

Update: I picked up the Jeep and did a quick 10 mile loop on the highway. No vibration/DW, so apparently 1/2 oz can make a difference on the wheel balance. I still replaced the track bar this morning. Here's a couple pics of the old one. Didn't look bad to me, but I am a newbie. What cha see?

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg