Vibration when letting off throttle

GoldenEagle

A cross thread is a tight thread
Supporting Member
On my way from Denver to Phoenix. Made it to Albuquerque. I noticed at 65+ I have a vibration when I let off the throttle. Just had an alignment done, and figured that would resolve it but it did not. It's not in the steering wheel at all. Any ideas?

My suspicion would be one of the rear driveshaft U joints....
You need to chock the wheels and climb under the Jeep and look at the U joints cups and trunions for rusty looking dust.

Reactions: AndyG
My suspicion would be one of the rear driveshaft U joints....
You need to chock the wheels and climb under the Jeep and look at the U joints cups and trunions for rusty looking dust.
Thinking you're right. May be in my best interest to buy a couple. I got many miles ahead of me. Can really afford to change them now, but if they outright fail, I'll have plenty of time. Lmao.
You sure it isn't the shitty roads here in Newer Mexico? Just sayin! ;)
If you need any work done in Abq call Dirty Dogg 4 x 4, formally New Mexico Jeep Builders. Fred is a good guy.
Already in Gallup. But yeah, the roads here are pretty gnarly. These rough country shocks are not helping anything. On the list of things to replace. The list that keeps growing apparently.

U joints -

Remember you can run it without the front or the rear shaft either way and get a pretty good idea

Wait until you get to Arizona, you'll need 4hi on the interstate near Flagstaff!
Skipped Flagstaff. Went to Holbrook and headed to Phoenix from there. Phoenix has some of the nicest roads I've ever seen. Guess they tend to last when the only weather that exists is hot.

On my way from Denver to Phoenix. Made it to Albuquerque. I noticed at 65+ I have a vibration when I let off the throttle. Just had an alignment done, and figured that would resolve it but it did not. It's not in the steering wheel at all. Any ideas?
A vibration that happens when you let off the gas could be caused by your rear pinion shaft angle being too low.

Reactions: LJBean