Vibrations when accelerating after a two inch lift install

02GreenTJ

TJ Enthusiast
I just installed a 2 inch rubicon express BB and was wondering how much I needed to drop the transfer case to fix it? I have a 5 speed and 4.0. Thanks.

No one can tell you for sure how much you need to drop the transfer case, you just need to experiment.

Try lowering it 1/2" with washers (and longer bolts). If that doesn't work, go to 3/4", then 1".

Take it for a drive each time after installing the washers until you get it to the point where it doesn't vibrate.

If you want to do it one and done, you could just lower it 1" and that will probably be more than enough. But why have your transfer case hanging lower than it needs to be?

Unfortunately there is no guide for this, as it can indeed vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Reactions: tquig01 and Rob5589
I thought if you installed a 2 inch or less lift that you did not have to worry about that? I just had a 2 inch lift installed and the vibration is horrible. It wasn't there before the lift was installed. Any ideas? My mechanic thinks it's my clutch because it's clicking but it did not do it before the lift kit was installed. help needed by the inexperience Jeep chick

A 2" lift definitely can cause vibrations Kelly, it happened to me many years ago. For a 2", I found that stacking enough washers between the tcase skidplate and frame around each of the six washers to drop it 5/8" stopped the vibrations. You actually need something like 7/8" worth of washers around each bolt to drop it 5/8" due to the washers sitting in a recess, at least my '97 TJ had a recess there. For 2002 and older TJs you can reuse the same 6 bolts. For 2003 and newer that went to shorter metric bolts you'll need the next longer size bolts. Take one of them out and match it to the correct size at your local hardware store. Make sure it has the proper 8.8 or 10.9 metric strength rating.

Reactions: lindsey97
2" can cause vibrations as you both have experienced. The two least expensive and easiest options are to lower the skid or a motor mount lift. I chose the mml since the skid hangs low enough as is.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
If you have a Dana 44 rear axle the vibrations will be worse because the pinion is longer than on the Dana 35. This creates a more severe driveshaft angle. Dropping the skid is a short term solution. You will need to do a SYE, DC driveshaft, and adjustable control arms. I just completed all of this on my '98 Sport and I now have no drivetrain vibrations. Good luck.

Reactions: JMT and Joeker67
Last edited:
That's over kill for a 2" lift. Why spend over $1,000 when A $80 motor mount spacer lift is more than enough to permanently solve the problem.

Yo don't NEED anything others that a MML

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TTZF52/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The JKS blocks are only 75, if your current mounts are in good shape. I actually saw some on EBay from a small company that were only 50.

I am guessing if someone is installing a budget boost, money is a factor.

...My mechanic thinks it's my clutch because it's clicking but it did not do it before the lift kit was installed. help needed by the inexperience Jeep chick

If the clutch was fine before it's fine now.

The clicking is most likely a worn u-joint that has exposed itself due to the increased driveline angle after the lift.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Oops, so I talked to my mechanic today and they are going to be putting some washers in to adjust the driveshaft alignment and she if that takes away the vibs.

That will do it. You just need to make sure the skid ends up being 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lower.

If you have a Dana 44 rear axle the vibrations will be worse because the pinion is longer than on the Dana 35. This creates a more severe driveshaft angle. Dropping the skid is a short term solution. You will need to do a SYE, DC driveshaft, and adjustable control arms. I just completed all of this on my '98 Sport and I now have no drivetrain vibrations. Good luck.
So I have the same vibration, I have done everything except the SYE, I have read it’s not needed for the Unlimited but still have it.

Fljeeper, did you do a right up?

I have read it’s not needed for the Unlimited but still have it.

That depends on a variety of factors. For instance, adding a belly-up skid is the equivalent of adding an extra 3-4" of suspension lift in terms of driveline angles.

I am going to call old old emu tomorrow and see what they have to say about the 2 inch lift. Its the heavy duty one so I'm wondering if it's more than 2 inchs..

I am going to call old old emu tomorrow and see what they have to say about the 2 inch lift. Its the heavy duty one so I'm wondering if it's more than 2 inchs..
That lift commonly nets 2.5” because you dont’ have much extra weight like an aftermarket bumper, winch, larger spare, etc...When I put the same lift on I netted 2 3/4 up front and 3 1/8 in the rear. It settled a bit but I still got vibes. A TCase drop solved it till I could get a 1” MML. I’d say hands down the reason you have vibes is the driveline angle and to simply use some washers on each of the six TCase mounting bolts to lower it and fix that angle.

That lift commonly nets 2.5” because you dont’ have much extra weight like an aftermarket bumper, winch, larger spare, etc...When I put the same lift on I netted 2 3/4 up front and 3 1/8 in the rear. It settled a bit but I still got vibes. A TCase drop solved it till I could get a 1” MML. I’d say hands down the reason you have vibes is the driveline angle and to simply use some washers on each of the six TCase mounting bolts to lower it and fix that angle.
So my mechanic is going to try the washers. I asked him about a motor mount lift and he said that would make the drive shaft go in the opposite direction.

So my mechanic is going to try the washers. I asked him about a motor mount lift and he said that would make the drive shaft go in the opposite direction.
No, it would raise the motor and thereby tilt the transmission and TCase so that the driveshaft is not coming out of your TCase at such a steep angle, doing exactly what you need, decreasing the angle of your driveshaft. I’d say the mechanic doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

Many of us have done this successfully. In fact, I don’t know anyone who did it who didn’t get rid of their vibes. It works up to about 3” of lift on a TJ. Above that and you need to do an SYE and DC to solve it (or an extreme TCase drop!)

What makes a MML better than a TCase drop is it is more aesthetically pleasing and it gives you more clearance

Reactions: Kelly Butler