Vinyl paint is awesome!

Lilbomb

TJ Enthusiast
So the interior of my TJ was a dark grey at one time.... now it’s faded to white almost in some spots. Bought the ColorBond Adhesive Promoter and paint and it’s like new! Soooo impressed with this stuff and it was sooo easy to do! Cost me $60 for 3 cans of paint and my interior is going to look like new. Crazy.

Here is the adhesive promoter I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6IMXSC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here is the paint I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6IIKSO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I actually had to order another can of both, it didn't quite do the whole interior. What I did was clean the surface with TSP that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, it's for cleaning walls before you paint them, in the paint isle. Then I sprayed the adhesion promoter on and let dry until it's not tacky, maybe 10-15 minutes. I applied a second coat of the adhesion promoter and let dry another 10-15 minutes or until it's not tacky anymore. Then I applied a light coat of the black paint. If you are used to spray painting stuff with normal spray paint this is a little different. When you apply a light coat it doesn't look like the paint is even going on at first.....just wait. After a few minutes it's like it adheres to the vinyl or plastic and all of a sudden it's pretty black. Strange how it works but it does. Do not put a heavy coat on, it can run just like regular spray paint. After about 15-20 minutes of dry time I applied a second coat. Some spots needed a third, the ones that were really white from fading but two coats almost did the whole thing. Really amazing stuff. Can't wait to install it and let my kids in so they can rough it up. Lol I will post my finding after awhile.

IMG_3493.PNG

IMG_3491.jpg

Last edited:
Damn! That looks brand new. I’m curious to see how it holds up. Be sure to update this thread as time passes.

Very, very impressed!

Want to post links to the products you used? It might help others.

Somebody who had my jeep before me did something like that and now it's peeling and flaking, I think he just used spray paint though. I'm thinking about redoing it now

I used Krylon Fusion semi-flat black on my heater vents last week. That and cleaning the ducts made them look brand new.

Reactions: Lilbomb
The key to making it stick is the Adhesion Promoter. I would use paint that is for plastic as well. The Krylon stuff is good too. I heard the bedliner stuff is not good health wise but I can't confirm that for sure. Thats the only reason I wouldn't use it inside the Jeep.

I used Krylon Fusion semi-flat black on my heater vents last week. That and cleaning the ducts made them look brand new.
I think i'm going to use that stuff on my heater vents as well. They are the only part that is grey now. Lol

That looks great. The PO of my jeep used some kind of paint,that when I went to clean it, particles from whatever paper towel,or cloth was getting stuck on the paint. It has a rougher texture and I hate it. This looks like new. What will you use to clean your interior and have you tried it yet to see how it holds up to rubbing and products?

Reactions: mde8965
I'd love to be able to find a color that would match the khaki interior.

Thanks for this post and the links. This is on my soon to do list so I’ll be referring back to it when I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lilbomb
That looks great. The PO of my jeep used some kind of paint,that when I went to clean it, particles from whatever paper towel,or cloth was getting stuck on the paint. It has a rougher texture and I hate it. This looks like new. What will you use to clean your interior and have you tried it yet to see how it holds up to rubbing and products?

I have not cleaned it yet. Just painted it two days ago and will install this weekend. I will see what happens when I clean it and definitely post up the results when I do.

Reactions: Kathy
Reactions: Chris and mots
I seen they had a GM Light Khaki. Not sure how well is matches up to the light khaki interior pieces.