Virgin Jeep owner

Marc L

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just bought a 2002 Jeep TJ X . It has been on my bucket list for years. Not sure what features mine came with originally. Supposedly it has a 2-1/2 lift and the wheels have spacer plates behind them. I doubt that is stock. What options would you add or take off. I plan on using it to tow behind our motor home and when we arrive to go play in it with medium duty 4 wheeling.

Any suggestions or opinions will be taken openly.

Thanks in advance

10.jpg
13.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg

Nice looking TJ!

If it was me, I would remove the light bar, the black guards on the lights (which do nothing anyways), and I'd probably get some all black seat covers.

Oh, I almost forgot... Get rid of those JK wheels and get some proper 15" TJ wheels (you'll need new tires for this too). It will look much more at home on a TJ!

Sounds like a bit much, but I'm a minimalist in all honesty. I'm also not a fan of light bars on Jeeps, they just look so "Chinese" to me. Other than that though, I wouldn't change anything!

From what I can tell, you have some JK take off wheels on there, so that'll mean 32ish" tires. The spacers are needed because JK lug pattern is different than our TJ pattern, and the backspacing on those wheels wouldn't work well on a TJ. LED headlights are a nice touch. Not a fan of the light guards, but if you like them then that's all that counts. I tow my TJ behind our RV. They tow great. You'll need to get a tow bar mount for the jeep and wire it for lights. The mount for the jeep is a Roadmaster 1424-1. here's the wiring harness for the lights. It's plug-n-play and easy to install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SIO9Q6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Add a winch to the front and I'd say you're good to go.

Reactions: Marc L and Chris
Like bobthetj03 mentioned, you have JK Wheels which have a bolt pattern of 5x5 but our TJ's bolt pattern is 5x4.5 so they are both spacers and adapters. If you don't want to buy new tires/wheels you will need the adapters. Not a fan of the light bar or the grill inserts but if you need light I would keep it. Looks pretty clean!

Reactions: Marc L
Are you saying you're a virgin? Or what is going on here?

:D

Ok, really, nice Jeep. It's fun to check off something on a bucket list. And a TJ is a great item on the list. Aren't they fun?! Good lift amount for medium wheelin'. I'd lose some of the yellow, preferably the seat covers. And the milk jugs on the end of your bumpers. Great find. Have a great TJ day!

Some 15x8"' wheels would look better, but for now ok till you need new tires

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
I have basically the same jeep, only mine is a 2000 sport model.
I have the same seat covers and I regret them now because that yellow gets real dirty, real fast (my wife picked them out). People think I'm a Steelers fan because of all the black and yellow, but I'm not!
I also have the same wheels and don't care for them. I plan on doing what Chris said and get 15" wheels and new tires, just as soon as the current ones wear out.
The milk jugs that they are referring to are the plastic pieces at the ends of the front bumper.
Nice Jeep, Enjoy it!

Are you saying you're a virgin? Or what is going on here?

:D

Ok, really, nice Jeep. It's fun to check off something on a bucket list. And a TJ is a great item on the list. Aren't they fun?! Good lift amount for medium wheelin'. I'd lose some of the yellow, preferably the seat covers. And the milk jugs on the end of your bumpers. Great find. Have a great TJ day!

Some 15x8"' wheels would look better, but for now ok till you need new tires

No not a virgin....but I do need to break in the jeep ;-)

Thank you for the input! I love driving it more than my '66 mustang convertible. I see now about the milk jugs and will remove them.! I am waiting for these tires to wear then I will switch to 15x8" wheels as suggested

Reactions: Chris
Funny you mention the 66 Mustang convertible. I've always wanted that exact car, but since I have never actually owned one, I wasn't sure if it would be more fun or less fun to drive than my Wrangler.

I'm guessing not as much fun, because the doors don't come off :D

Reactions: Michael Roberson
I have basically the same jeep, only mine is a 2000 sport model.
I have the same seat covers and I regret them now because that yellow gets real dirty, real fast (my wife picked them out). People think I'm a Steelers fan because of all the black and yellow, but I'm not!
I also have the same wheels and don't care for them. I plan on doing what Chris said and get 15" wheels and new tires, just as soon as the current ones wear out.
The milk jugs that they are referring to are the plastic pieces at the ends of the front bumper.
Nice Jeep, Enjoy it!

Yeah we liked the covers too. I'm sure once they get dirty and worn I will switch to black. "impulse buy".
I too will be replacing rims and tires once these wear out. they are like brand new now. I will be removing the jugs and making my own flush end caps. I'm a machinist so can make almost anything.
I'm loving it!

Reactions: JMT
Funny you mention the 66 Mustang convertible. I've always wanted that exact car, but since I have never actually owned one, I wasn't sure if it would be more fun or less fun to drive than my Wrangler.

I'm guessing not as much fun, because the doors don't come off :D
well it has a stock 200 straight six in it so it's a cruiser and does get lots of attention when driving. But the Jeep is a whole new animal!
I haven't removed the doors yet, in fact I don't think they ever have been same with the hard top. I was the first to take it off as well.
Below is my Mustang I sold to start checking off my bucket list. Now that was FUN to drive. 550rw HP! Don't miss it a bit though. The yellow one is my wives I built for her.

469802_10150904280716028_1217746852_o.jpg

66966_10151648371466028_1754637428_n.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Chris
well it has a stock 200 straight six in it so it's a cruiser and does get lots of attention when driving. But the Jeep is a whole new animal!
I haven't removed the doors yet, in fact I don't think they ever have been same with the hard top. I was the first to take it off as well.
Below is my Mustang I sold to start checking off my bucket list. Now that was FUN to drive. 550rw HP! Don't miss it a bit though. The yellow one is my wives I built for her.

Very nice Mustangs! I used to have a 1969 Camaro SS (photo attached).

You don't know what you're missing if you haven't taken the doors off your TJ yet! Do that with the top off and you'll be in heaven!

2013-11-28 14.42.33.jpg

Reactions: Tjrubicon
Welcome! That is a great looking Jeep and I actually sort of like the seat covers! I guess I'm going against the tide on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marc L