Voltage Gauge / Regulator / ECM Issue

If the ECU is bad could this have an effect on the transmission shifting? The transmission shifting problem started about 20 miles before the voltage issue began.
All these issues started after a hard day of wheeling in the mud.

Last edited:
If the ECU is bad could this have an effect on the transmission shifting? The transmission shifting problem started about 20 miles before the voltage issue began.
All these issues started after a hard day of wheeling in the mud.
With your year model it shouldn't. You should have the 32RH which is hydraulic control so not by the ecm, unless something has been changed at some point. So before the day of wheeling everything was fine? You may have mud/water in some connections or something may have gotten hit and is loose.

Reactions: bucknut713
With your year model it shouldn't. You should have the 32RH which is hydraulic control so not by the ecm, unless something has been changed at some point. So before the day of wheeling everything was fine? You may have mud/water in some connections or something may have gotten hit and is loose.

Yes this all started on my way home from wheeling.

Really? That's the first I've heard of that. That would cause my issues?

Well, that code certainly points to your ignition switch being faulty, so I would replace it and see. It's a cheap enough part, and it could indeed be linked to your issue.

Well, that code certainly points to your ignition switch being faulty, so I would replace it and see. It's a cheap enough part, and it could indeed be linked to your issue.

The code comes up as a low voltage code on my scanner.

Also, I think this may be one of those times where if you're truly out of ideas, take it to a shop that has the tools and knowledge to diagnose it. Sometimes it's more worth it to do that than to drive yourself insane ;)

Maybe it's not the ignition switch, but if it's not, than consider me stumped.

Also, I think this may be one of those times where if you're truly out of ideas, take it to a shop that has the tools and knowledge to diagnose it. Sometimes it's more worth it to do that than to drive yourself insane ;)

I think that is where I'm at now. Taking to a shop today and hopefully find out for sure.
I just don't want to throw parts at it and guess anymore. I'm fine if it's a ECU or just a wiring issue. I just want to know for sure.

It ended up being the alternator even though I had it tested at 2 different places. I guess the auto parts stores weren't putting enough load on it and not running the test long enough.

Reactions: pagrey
It ended up being the alternator even though I had it tested at 2 different places. I guess the auto parts stores weren't putting enough load on it and not running the test long enough.
I had this happen before. The tests at the auto parts stores are not always correct. I dont remember how I came to the conclusion but I do remember changing the alternator.
At least you have it fixed!

Reactions: bucknut713

Wow, I guess sometimes it pays to get a second opinion (or in this case, a third).

How did you think to test the alternator a third time?

Wow, I guess sometimes it pays to get a second opinion (or in this case, a third).

How did you think to test the alternator a third time?

The guy I took it to said let's just replace the alternator and see what happens. And what do you know it worked.

Reactions: Chris