Wanting it bad

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Who here remembers being young, maybe 16,17 ,18, And wanting something that was just almost out of reach- but you knew you just might could make it happen?

When I was young, a dirt bike was my first dream- had a few but never the “in“ thing - that dream can true later in a bigger way - that is another story.

As I got older I wanted a VW Baja bug, and that worked out- but my first real “ man this has got to happen” wish was an ‘83 CJ -7- this was in about 1986-87. It had about 4200 miles on it, pale yellow with a white top, yellow and silver stripes, 258, 5 speed.

The stars lined up -I got it -it was so much fun. I’d love to find a pic of it -

It was the right vehicle at the right time for me. So many joy rides.

Tell me some stories- that GTO, Mustang - what vehicle was it that you went to sleep thinking about -

When I was young, a dirt bike was my first dream- had a few but never the “in“ thing - that dream can true later in a bigger way - that is another story.
As a young kid in the late 70s, I grew up watching the Wide World of Sports when they broadcast motocross races with Decoster and Hannah. At 15 I was a big fan of Honda HRC, their works bikes and Rick Johnson. I became obsessed with the 1987 Honda CR250. I finally persuaded my dad to go down to the dealership to take a look. I didn't get the Honda I dreamt of but walked out with the consolation prize of a 1986 Yamaha YZ250.

Reactions: matkal and AndyG
As a young kid in the late 70s, I grew up watching the Wide World of Sports when they broadcast motocross races with Decoster and Hannah. At 15 I was a big fan of Honda HRC, their works bikes and Rick Johnson. I became obsessed with the 1987 Honda CR250. I finally persuaded my dad to go down to the dealership to take a look. I didn't get the Honda I dreamt of but walked out with the consolation prize of a 1986 Yamaha YZ250.
That is awesome and I know exactly the era.. I was mesmerized by dirt bikes and all the guys that rode them- I still love to hear interviews with Bob Hannah today- He is opinionated but he really Is worth listening to - He has no problem calling people out on their celebrity behavior - he mastered the art of being a nationwide hero while racing out of the back of the box truck. He would stay after the races and talk to everybody that wanted to talk about racing dirt bikes. He said “if they were not a fan of me before the race I wanted to make them a fan of me after.”

Last edited:
Reactions: L J
I have a Rick Johnson rider's manual where he explains the techniques of various jumps, taking berms, etc. My first bike was an 86 CR80. Then graduated to an 86 RM125 then a 89 Cagiva 250.

Reactions: L J and AndyG
Do you guys remember the pictures of Scott Summers holding up the big XR he rode in enduros?

Reactions: taylormade73
Yeah in Dirt Bike. I hated 4 strokes back then.
I sort of jumped the invasion- weird story-

Back in the 2 stroke day it was fouled plugs and a lot of headaches- bikes were not that good really (Hondas we way ahead on quality) -Life got busy and I started a family - got back into bikes like in 2007- swore I would never own a 2 stroke-

Little dId I know KTM had tamed them and made them ultra reliable- all I’ve owned since 08 has been 2 stoke KTM’s. My main bike is direct injected with electric start- never thought 2 strokes like that would exist.

2 strokes were like on/off switched in the 80’s, now they can deliver way more linear power , have a lot of flywheel weight, different ignition maps, and are the bike of choice in the woods.

C7BEEF16-4C89-403D-83BF-A61A1CC3C35A.jpeg

Back in the 2 stroke day it was fouled plugs and a lot of headaches- bikes were not that good really (Hondas we way ahead on quality) -Life got busy and I started a family - got back into bikes like in 2007- swore I would never own a 2 stroke-

Little dId I know KTM had tamed them and made them ultra reliable- all I’ve owned since 08 has been 2 stoke KTM’s. My main bike is direct injected with electric start- never thought 2 strokes like that would exist.

View attachment 305404
I lost track of how many times i rebuilt the top ends of my 2 strokes...something about their sound to me though.

Was a dirt bike from 12-14…then it became a early Bronco . 66-77.

I got into land cruisers. Owned many generations. Lots of cool ones.

But never a EB.

Yes I can afford/own me now. But it hurts to spend that much on a toy. FML!

For whatever reason I was hooked on getting a cleaned up Chevy CUCV truck when in High School and College. My first vehicle was a 79 K10... So that probably played a roll in wanting a 1 and a 1/4 ton truck.

Was a dirt bike from 12-14…then it became a early Bronco . 66-77.

I got into land cruisers. Owned many generations. Lots of cool ones.

But never a EB.

Yes I can afford/own me now. But it hurts to spend that much on a toy. FML!
A friend of mine delivers for the Toyota importer, JM Family- he sent a pic of an old landcruiser one of the execs owns- like a ‘73 maybe (I’m guessing). Had 590 miles on it. I was stunned. Our local Toyota dealer is a big collector- has them from all over - some with beds, right hand drive, etc.

I lost track of how many times i rebuilt the top ends of my 2 strokes...something about their sound to me though.
They say the sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses when it comes to memory. I'll never forget the smell of Maxima 927 in the cold desert morning air.

62zxs6.jpg

Reactions: AndyG
Mine was/is my TJ. I was in HS between 96-2000, so prime TJ years. My parents drive practical family cars and there wasn’t money for a third car, let alone a new jeep.

My Senior year, I was able to get a beater 1984 Plymouth Caravell. It wasn’t safe on the highway, but apparently safe enough to take my younger brothers to school. It was also where my dad taught me how to change a head gasket, bondo, and what happens when brake lines rust out. It’s the only car I’ve ever named and it was the “Grey Ghost” because my fathers, friend’s father, had a heart attack and died while clearing off the snow. We got it for $600

Fast forward to College, student loans, starting a career, family, family vacations, braces, etc and eventually starting my own company, there was never enough extra to “waste” on a 20 year old Jeep.

About a year and a half ago, I was successful enough in my startup and after months of window shopping I got the Jeep I had wanted when I was in Highschool. Flame Red, 4.0, 5sp, and soft top. My wife refuse to ride in it, but in a school lot of Teslas and mini vans, my kids have the coolest ride to school.

2 strokes were like on/off switched in the 80’s, now they can deliver way more linear power , have a lot of flywheel weight, different ignition maps, and are the bike of choice in the woods.

View attachment 305404
Why choice of woods bikes? I would think the 4 stroker grunt would do it better at low speed? If I get a bike it will be a woods bike or a trials to try out 2 wheel rock crawling

wow those names bring back some memories! i remember seeing Hannah during the races in ATL/Fulton CO Stadium in the 70's

Mine was/is my TJ. I was in HS between 96-2000, so prime TJ years. My parents drive practical family cars and there wasn’t money for a third car, let alone a new jeep.

My Senior year, I was able to get a beater 1984 Plymouth Caravell. It wasn’t safe on the highway, but apparently safe enough to take my younger brothers to school. It was also where my dad taught me how to change a head gasket, bondo, and what happens when brake lines rust out. It’s the only car I’ve ever named and it was the “Grey Ghost” because my fathers, friend’s father, had a heart attack and died while clearing off the snow. We got it for $600

Fast forward to College, student loans, starting a career, family, family vacations, braces, etc and eventually starting my own company, there was never enough extra to “waste” on a 20 year old Jeep.

About a year and a half ago, I was successful enough in my startup and after months of window shopping I got the Jeep I had wanted when I was in Highschool. Flame Red, 4.0, 5sp, and soft top. My wife refuse to ride in it, but in a school lot of Teslas and mini vans, my kids have the coolest ride to school.
I'd get rid of her !

• Haha
Reactions: red02tj
Why choice of woods bikes? I would think the 4 stroker grunt would do it better at low speed? If I get a bike it will be a woods bike or a trials to try out 2 wheel rock crawling
Well I think the fact the 2 stroke won’t overheat as fast, has smoother /better power delivery and light weight is what drove the revolution- If you go to an Enduro and look at the starting line it will just be a sea of orange and white (husky/ktm makes them too) bikes.

This started around 07-08- the Japanese abandoned 2 strokes At the same time the Austrians perfected theirs-

This is not to say that four strokes are not viable - But to get the same power they had to up displacement of the four stroke and they became monsters- There are still a lot of people that love both, But when you start looking at guys doing slower , tight trail riding you’re going to see a lot more two strokes overall.

A big thumper is still fun-that is the word for a 4 stroke.