Wanting it bad

Prologue

First of all, really nice tread @AndyG. Nothing better than the kids/teen days nostalgia. Especially if it's for cars. 🥳

I was never really attracted to bikes but from an early age had a thing for cars, trucks, SUVs you name it. Especially convertibles, American and classic/utilitarian-looking, not luxurious. Without really having thought about it before getting the TJ, I later realized that it is a combo of all the 3 above characteristics. 🥰

97'-06' Jeep Wrangler

I'm 32 years old, and I still remember vividly the day in 1998 (I was 8 back then) that I went with my parents to the Chrysler/Jeep dealership to check out the XJ, which my dad finally bought. It was a black 2.5L manual limited that we had for 5 years. What my mother remembered and had mentioned throughout the years, was watching me climbing into the driver's seat of the TJ they had in the showroom, looking very happy.

It's strange as I was really attracted by the more utilitarian vehicles (like the TJ) and was in love with the yellow Land Rovers that participated in the Camel Trophy. For me the adventure feeling that Jeeps were emitting was way better than the "look at me" luxurious look BMWs/Mercs etc did, and still is.

It's obviously pretty generic what I'm stating so no offence to anyone and take it with a bit of salt. The majority of my friends drive BMWs and I have fun with them. Plus, easier to change lanes when nobody expects you to use a turn signal. 😛

Anyway, I still remember my dad asking me and my sister if we liked the new family vehicle (XJ) he ordered and me responding something like "yeah but it's not a true jeep since you want it to have leather seats blah blah and whatever other creature comforts the limited edition XJ offered back then.

Side story, while shopping around we had also visited with my family the only chevy dealership that existed in Athens (and probably Greece) to check on the blazer/trailblazer (not sure which one was it at the time but the small/midsize SUV they were offering back then). First thing you saw waking in the entrance was of course the corvette. While I obviously looked at it, I climbed in the Tahoe/Suburban (again not sure, but the large SUV the had in the showroom). This, time the sales rep that was talking with my parents (and I remember this by myself) goes something like: "it's the first time I see a boy getting in here and spending more time watching an SUV rather than the Vette" 😂

From your side, knowing the size of the Jeep/SUV market in the late 90s in the States contrary to now, you can imagine that these vehicles were a quite rare picture in the suburbs of '98 Athens, Greece.

All, this was to say that I was into the adventurous feeling that SUVs emitted with the topless TJ standing at the top. Thus, it was one of my two "dream cars" as a kid and a teenager.

64'-66' Ford Mustang Convertible

The other one for me was a '65-'66 Ford Mustang Convertible. Something between its iconic styling having commonly been used in various Hollywood movies and the fact that was a "people's car" were some of its characteristics that made me love it. Don't get me wrong as it's not like I don't like a classic Mercedes SL of the 60s as well, but while it may bring more class, the mustang brings a feeling freedom and carefree mindset.

I really like classic muscle/pony cars and there are many that I would really like to own (especially 1st Gen Camaro and '69-'70 Charger/Challenger, however it's the 1st Gen Mustang (prior to the the '67 facelift that I'm really in love with). For me it offers both the raw feeling of a pony car of its era while at the other time being a relaxed cruiser that you can drive down a coastal road with friends, significant other or just by yourself, listen to music (or just the engine) and be happy. 😎

I have been (on a theoretical basis always as I never had the money so far to think about this seriously), been struggling to decide with myself if I would go for a '67-'68 fastback that was offered with the 427 big block engine. Well, as badass as it may be, I have been convinced that if performance is what I was after then a '65 Shelby Cobra replica would be the way to go. Thus, for me sticking with the probably greatly underpowered (by today's standards) 289 V8 would be more than enough to bring a smile to my face.

1st Gen (and Mustangs in general apart from the latest one with the 4-cyl eco boost) are almost non-existent over here. Have I been checking ads every some months on US eBay motors since I became 18yrs old? Guilty as charged. Have I read articles, saved pics and have been tempted to ask fro info on some? You guessed it.

This one is still a dream for the obvious reasons (lack of money and time) but is one of those that have been unfulfilled for many years and still don't go away. What can I say, maybe one day... 🥰

Epilogue

As any car guy, I like vehicles that are not just tools that will get you from point A to point B, but those that have a "soul" and bring you emotions. And emotions are tied to our memories. I don't want to be dragged to any cliché such as "TJ was the last true Jeep" or anything, but for me after so many years I still feel nice when ridding it and it still one of the few vehicles that draw my attention on the street and that's what counts. 🙂

Reactions: AndyG
Prologue

First of all, really nice tread @AndyG. Nothing better than the kids/teen days nostalgia. Especially if it's for cars. 🥳

I was never really attracted to bikes but from an early age had a thing for cars, trucks, SUVs you name it. Especially convertibles, American and classic/utilitarian-looking, not luxurious. Without really having thought about it before getting the TJ, I later realized that it is a combo of all the 3 above characteristics. 🥰

97'-06' Jeep Wrangler

I'm 32 years old, and I still remember vividly the day in 1998 (I was 8 back then) that I went with my parents to the Chrysler/Jeep dealership to check out the XJ, which my dad finally bought. It was a black 2.5L manual limited that we had for 5 years. What my mother remembered and had mentioned throughout the years, was watching me climbing into the driver's seat of the TJ they had in the showroom, looking very happy.

It's strange as I was really attracted by the more utilitarian vehicles (like the TJ) and was in love with the yellow Land Rovers that participated in the Camel Trophy. For me the adventure feeling that Jeeps were emitting was way better than the "look at me" luxurious look BMWs/Mercs etc did, and still is.

It's obviously pretty generic what I'm stating so no offence to anyone and take it with a bit of salt. The majority of my friends drive BMWs and I have fun with them. Plus, easier to change lanes when nobody expects you to use a turn signal. 😛

Anyway, I still remember my dad asking me and my sister if we liked the new family vehicle (XJ) he ordered and me responding something like "yeah but it's not a true jeep since you want it to have leather seats blah blah and whatever other creature comforts the limited edition XJ offered back then.

Side story, while shopping around we had also visited with my family the only chevy dealership that existed in Athens (and probably Greece) to check on the blazer/trailblazer (not sure which one was it at the time but the small/midsize SUV they were offering back then). First thing you saw waking in the entrance was of course the corvette. While I obviously looked at it, I climbed in the Tahoe/Suburban (again not sure, but the large SUV the had in the showroom). This, time the sales rep that was talking with my parents (and I remember this by myself) goes something like: "it's the first time I see a boy getting in here and spending more time watching an SUV rather than the Vette" 😂

From your side, knowing the size of the Jeep/SUV market in the late 90s in the States contrary to now, you can imagine that these vehicles were a quite rare picture in the suburbs of '98 Athens, Greece.

All, this was to say that I was into the adventurous feeling that SUVs emitted with the topless TJ standing at the top. Thus, it was one of my two "dream cars" as a kid and a teenager.

64'-66' Ford Mustang Convertible

The other one for me was a '65-'66 Ford Mustang Convertible. Something between its iconic styling having commonly been used in various Hollywood movies and the fact that was a "people's car" were some of its characteristics that made me love it. Don't get me wrong as it's not like I don't like a classic Mercedes SL of the 60s as well, but while it may bring more class, the mustang brings a feeling freedom and carefree mindset.

I really like classic muscle/pony cars and there are many that I would really like to own (especially 1st Gen Camaro and '69-'70 Charger/Challenger, however it's the 1st Gen Mustang (prior to the the '67 facelift that I'm really in love with). For me it offers both the raw feeling of a pony car of its era while at the other time being a relaxed cruiser that you can drive down a coastal road with friends, significant other or just by yourself, listen to music (or just the engine) and be happy. 😎

I have been (on a theoretical basis always as I never had the money so far to think about this seriously), been struggling to decide with myself if I would go for a '67-'68 fastback that was offered with the 427 big block engine. Well, as badass as it may be, I have been convinced that if performance is what I was after then a '65 Shelby Cobra replica would be the way to go. Thus, for me sticking with the probably greatly underpowered (by today's standards) 289 V8 would be more than enough to bring a smile to my face.

1st Gen (and Mustangs in general apart from the latest one with the 4-cyl eco boost) are almost non-existent over here. Have I been checking ads every some months on US eBay motors since I became 18yrs old? Guilty as charged. Have I read articles, saved pics and have been tempted to ask fro info on some? You guessed it.

This one is still a dream for the obvious reasons (lack of money and time) but is one of those that have been unfulfilled for many years and still don't go away. What can I say, maybe one day... 🥰

Epilogue

As any car guy, I like vehicles that are not just tools that will get you from point A to point B, but those that have a "soul" and bring you emotions. And emotions are tied to our memories. I don't want to be dragged to any cliché such as "TJ was the last true Jeep" or anything, but for me after so many years I still feel nice when ridding it and it still one of the few vehicles that draw my attention on the street and that's what counts. 🙂
Cool, try to check out the ‘66 Shelby 350 that was found in an abandoned house here in Georgia- should be on youtube - amazing find.

Reactions: Kon
Cool, try to check out the ‘66 Shelby 350 that was found in an abandoned house here in Georgia- should be on youtube - amazing find.

Holly f**k! When did you manage to read is so fast? :ROFLMAO:

Shelby 350, although it was offered only in fastback and not a convertible is for sure something. I cannot imagine the prices of these though as it seems that a nicely restored 289 V8 convertible goes for about $50k. And that's before I pay import taxes to get it here. 🥳

Oh, and just to continue on what @WestCoastDan started and talking about unfulfilled childhood dreams...

I guess it's not just me but pretty much every kid that grew up in the 90s. :cool:

IMG_1692.jpg

What was your favorite of all those cool cars?
The '84 Carrera was probably at the top of the list, but I also had a '66 Malibu convertible that was a ton fun to drive here in SoCal. My dad went with me on a few drives and he swore it was better than walking a puppy at the park.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

The '84 Carrera was probably at the top of the list, but I also had a '66 Malibu convertible that was a ton fun to drive here in SoCal. My dad went with me on a few drives and he swore it was better than walking a puppy at the park.

View attachment 306383

View attachment 306384
One of those Malibu SS convertibles was sitting in body shop here for a long time - owners’ personal project. He died suddenly of a heart attack - not sure what became of it.

My uncle has a ‘70 Buick GSX , elegant car, scary fast.

Holly f**k! When did you manage to read is so fast? :ROFLMAO:

Shelby 350, although it was offered only in fastback and not a convertible is for sure something. I cannot imagine the prices of these though as it seems that a nicely restored 289 V8 convertible goes for about $50k. And that's before I pay import taxes to get it here. 🥳
They used to be everywhere here - in the late 70’s American muscle cars were just considered a nuisance- Only kids drove them and nobody wanted them that had a family or needed four doors or better gas mileage-

I was born in 1966 so it’s been amazing to witness the evolution of these cars becoming nearly priceless.

They used to be everywhere here - in the late 70’s American muscle cars were just considered a nuisance- Only kids drove them and nobody wanted them that had a family or needed four doors or better gas mileage-

I was born in 1966 so it’s been amazing to witness the evolution of these cars becoming nearly priceless.
I can imagine… I have even watched the classic movies where muscle cars were essentially the protagonist of the movie and not the actors.

Seriously though, I really liked the idea of this thread and hope more people will chime in.

Timing was also good since it was a really slow day in the office and I started writing only to realize in the end that I overdid it when I saw my final post. 😛

What did you think of landcruisers vs jeeps? So many LC guys seem to just keep them stock which is so lame Imo.

Overly built for the most part and heavy too. But stock axles can handle locked up and 35’s without much issue. Parts aren’t cheap or easy to find anymore.

The owners now tend to be snobby and older guys with money. Which is why you see stockers more often than not.

The KTM/Husky/GasGas 300's are the best woods bikes in my opinion
Which would you choose for sloppy rutty Walker Valley riding? Im thinking rekluse + steering damper as necessary.

Who here remembers being young, maybe 16,17 ,18, And wanting something that was just almost out of reach- but you knew you just might could make it happen?

When I was young, a dirt bike was my first dream- had a few but never the “in“ thing - that dream can true later in a bigger way - that is another story.

As I got older I wanted a VW Baja bug, and that worked out- but my first real “ man this has got to happen” wish was an ‘83 CJ -7- this was in about 1986-87. It had about 4200 miles on it, pale yellow with a white top, yellow and silver stripes, 258, 5 speed.

The stars lined up -I got it -it was so much fun. I’d love to find a pic of it -

It was the right vehicle at the right time for me. So many joy rides.

Tell me some stories- that GTO, Mustang - what vehicle was it that you went to sleep thinking about -
The summer before my senior year in high school, I bought a 69 Z28. I had to have it brought home on a flatbed. Had saved for three years to buy it. Was pretty much a POS.

I'll never forget the look on my dad's face when he saw it pulling into the driveway on the flatbed....something like, "oh shit, that's pulling in here".

Fast forward...we spent two years together rebuilding it. I learned how to pull an engine and rebuild it, how to do body work, I bought compressors and paint guns and everything down to the last shiny Z28 emblem. Like an idiot, sold the car a year later, but that's not the point of the story.

My dad has since passed. He was my best friend. Those two years we spent together in the garage, dirty, sweaty and sometimes cussing, but all the while having fun, were about the best two years of my life.

Thanks for bringing up a meaningful topic, Andy G. It was good to think back on this memory.

I have a 19 KTM 300 xcw and it works great there. The 4 strokes can be good with a Rekluse like AndyG said but they feel heavier

I also have a 13 501 that I ride occasionally at walker if we're doing long dual sport rides. But the weight and maneuverability in the woods makes me wish I was on the 300

The summer before my senior year in high school, I bought a 69 Z28. I had to have it brought home on a flatbed. Had saved for three years to buy it. Was pretty much a POS.

I'll never forget the look on my dad's face when he saw it pulling into the driveway on the flatbed....something like, "oh shit, that's pulling in here".

Fast forward...we spent two years together rebuilding it. I learned how to pull an engine and rebuild it, how to do body work, I bought compressors and paint guns and everything down to the last shiny Z28 emblem. Like an idiot, sold the car a year later, but that's not the point of the story.

My dad has since passed. He was my best friend. Those two years we spent together in the garage, dirty, sweaty and sometimes cussing, but all the while having fun, were about the best two years of my life.

Thanks for bringing up a meaningful topic, Andy G. It was good to think back on this memory.
That brought tears to my eyes-

Maybe the best post I’ve ever read.

Guys, Dads,Sons- this is a short ride- time with our loved ones is so precious. Life gets busy. If you will make time to to do hobbies and projects together you will never regret a dime of the cost or the time spent later, when you can’t.

Thanks for your reply. After I finished with the post, I got a little teary eyed, which kind of caught me off guard. Guess I still miss him and the time we spent together.

Andy, you are so right; the days are long but the years are short. Grab the time now with those you love before that opportunity is gone.

I have a 19 KTM 300 xcw and it works great there. The 4 strokes can be good with a Rekluse like AndyG said but they feel heavier

I also have a 13 501 that I ride occasionally at walker if we're doing long dual sport rides. But the weight and maneuverability in the woods makes me wish I was on the 300
Just saw this - my 2019 300 xcw is my main bike too. I love ‘em all.

Reactions: josb612
I came of driving age in the mid '70s. By the time I was 30, I'd been through 4 '60s Mustangs, a '58 Ranchero, a '56 Chevy pickup, a '66 Chevy pickup, 2 Chargers ('68 and '70), a '68 Triumph 500 Daytona, and a '69 Triumph 650 Bonneville. And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Not one of them cost me over a grand. A couple of them I got by trade, ie, the '68 Charger for the '56 Chevy pickup.
I'd love to have another '68 Charger, but they're pretty much out of reach these days. I don't think the wife would go for me cashing in my 401K to get one.

I came of driving age in the mid '70s. By the time I was 30, I'd been through 4 '60s Mustangs, a '58 Ranchero, a '56 Chevy pickup, a '66 Chevy pickup, 2 Chargers ('68 and '70), a '68 Triumph 500 Daytona, and a '69 Triumph 650 Bonneville. And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Not one of them cost me over a grand. A couple of them I got by trade, ie, the '68 Charger for the '56 Chevy pickup.
I'd love to have another '68 Charger, but they're pretty much out of reach these days. I don't think the wife would go for me cashing in my 401K to get one.
I am actually looking at a charger under a tarp in a part of town that I never thought I would see one- looks like a 70 maybe -Or I could be wrong it could be a satellite or something funky- You guys hang tight and I’ll try to sneak a picture.